Pennsylvania Western Pennsylvania water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
What is the water like in the Pittsburgh area? Hard? Soft? In between? Chlorine or chloramine?

Pennsylvania is a mixed bag in regards to water. City water is laced with chemicals and still somewhat hard in a lot of places. Due to mining, there is orange water that is so hard that it stains clothing and bathrooms. It weighs hair down so it must be treated with Aloe-rid for a perm to be worth getting. My water that is in a rural area is clear and great to drink but it is still hard. I live on a plateau with a slight slope towards my well that allows for rainwater collection. I use a small filter on my water to collect minerals and to keep from burning up a hot water tank every five years. Some of my neighbor's water isn't as good but all of the water is getting better. 50 years ago all the local streams were orange from the mining. Now they look pretty normal. FYI I live between Erie and Pittsburgh.

That will depend a lot on where you live and what the source is. Is it pulled from the river(s)? Is it from wells? Are you living in Pittsburgh or some place like Munhall or McKeesport etc.....different water authorities and systems.

I’m really late to the party here, but I can tell you that where I live (~8 miles west of downtown), we are serviced by PA American Water, and it’s quite hard. I start with spring water when brewing.

Back