West Yorkshire 1469

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaviking

Reaction score
Brewed the Spotted Charlie house bitter Recipe from Zymurgy August 2013.

Used West Yorkshire 1469 in 5 gallons and S-04 in the other 5 gallons. OG was 1.050, the S-04 finished around 1.014 and the 1469 finished around 1.011.

However, the s-04 has dropped pretty clear, while the 1469 is still pretty murky and seems like it has yet to flocculate, I checked and there is a light krausen on the top of the 1469 still.

I also seem to be detecting a slight acetaldehyde flavor, stonger on the 1469 than the S-04.

Fermented at 65°F for 10 days.

Does 1469 give off Acetaldehyde? Did I over oxygenate? I charged each fermenter with about 30 seconds of co2 before pitching...

Also wondering if maybe i got an infection, or if I'm just not patient enough...

Did you make a starter or pitch "100 billion cells" into 5 gallons of 1.050.

If you did not make a starter you under-pitched by a ballpark 250 billion cells (assuming your yeast pack was brand new).

S04 11.5 gram pack would be about perfect

The krausen on the 1469 almost always just sticks like glue to the top of the beer. Never seen any other yeast like it. It can also trap some stuff in that head that makes it smell and taste a bit green. Give it a swirl and a couple more days then package.

That wouldn't give off flavors.

Yeah it would. Acetaldehyde is usually present in younger beer, that is beer that has not had enough time to condition [on the yeast]. cloudy beer + Acetaldehyde = yeast not done yet. Higher temps = more active yeast = faster cleanup of the beer and said flavors and compounds like acetaldehyde.

Also I'm assuming you meant you hit it with 30s of Oxygen rather than co2 prior to ferment, yeah?

Brewed the Spotted Charlie house bitter Recipe from Zymurgy August 2013.

Used West Yorkshire 1469 in 5 gallons and S-04 in the other 5 gallons. OG was 1.050, the S-04 finished around 1.014 and the 1469 finished around 1.011.

However, the s-04 has dropped pretty clear, while the 1469 is still pretty murky and seems like it has yet to flocculate, I checked and there is a light krausen on the top of the 1469 still.

I also seem to be detecting a slight acetaldehyde flavor, stonger on the 1469 than the S-04.

Fermented at 65°F for 10 days.

Does 1469 give off Acetaldehyde? Did I over oxygenate? I charged each fermenter with about 30 seconds of co2 before pitching...

Also wondering if maybe i got an infection, or if I'm just not patient enough...

Did you make a starter or pitch "100 billion cells" into 5 gallons of 1.050.

If you did not make a starter you under-pitched by a ballpark 250 billion cells (assuming your yeast pack was brand new).

S04 11.5 gram pack would be about perfect

I made a two liter starter.

S-04 ferment between 64-75
1469 ferment between 64-72

But we didn't bet ;)

haha, nice. I totally understand what you're saying, but what's happening is happening. Cloudy beer and Acetaldehyde. we are at the mercy of the yeast as brewers, and they tell us what they need to make us tasty beer. These yeast are saying they need warmer temp and more time. And they don't give a whit about what's on their packaging :)

Yeah it would. Acetaldehyde is usually present in younger beer, that is beer that has not had enough time to condition [on the yeast]. cloudy beer + Acetaldehyde = yeast not done yet. Higher temps = more active yeast = faster cleanup of the beer and said flavors and compounds like acetaldehyde.

I was thinking the same thing...I raised the temp in the chamber to 70 degrees last night... hoping it will allow the 1469 to clean up a little, and even reactivate the S-04 to maybe get me another few points, would like it to finish around 1.012 or so.

I'll give it a few more days and then keg it up....

I was thinking the same thing...I raised the temp in the chamber to 70 degrees last night... hoping it will allow the 1469 to clean up a little, and even reactivate the S-04 to maybe get me another few points, would like it to finish around 1.012 or so.

I'll give it a few more days and then keg it up....

Cool. I think it'll clean up. probably 3 days or so, i'd imagine. keep us posted!

I've used 1469 a few times, including my current batch, and it always gets stuck a few points shy of my target FG. My current batch got stuck 8 points higher than I wanted it and didn't respond to being roused and having the temp raised to 68-70, which has helped in the past. I pitched a 2 liter starter at high krausen a couple days ago, so we'll see what happens. I think I need to ferment 1469 in the high 60s instead of the 62-65 range, so I'll try that next time as others suggested above.
It's typical for 1469 to clear a little slowly and have a persistent krausen.
Speaking of the starter....I wish I had taken a picture of the huge krausen on that thing. For the first time I had a starter blow out of the flask. I've never made a starter with that much visible activity.

1469 is great stuff! Let us know how it all works out!

Kegged it a few days ago with about 2.3oz of DME to let it carb... keeping it around 70°. It was still cloudy, but oh well.. i'll see what happens with some aging. I am hoping the two weeks in the keg will help it drop out some more.

Getting a fruit flavor (stone fruit?) from the S-04 that i kegged in a couple of 2.5 gallon kegs and hooked up to Co2... anyone experience that before? Could be Acetaldehyde, but it tastes freaking good... really weird, I am using some plastic conicles from mini brew.. that i got used, so always worries me that an infection happened, but i have made some damn good beer in them before...

I recently made a Nut Brown with 1469, which was my first time using the strain. It took forever for that stubborn krausen to drop, and then it was insanely cloudy when I kegged it. Tasted a bit green initially and I was incredibly disappointed, but after about two weeks in the keg this beer was floccing incredible. It was malty and smooth and delicious. It is the first time I have ever had my first shot at a style come out exactly how I wanted it. So give it time and you may have one of the best beers you've ever made.

TL;DR - I used the yeast and thought it was awful, then it became amazing and I love it.

My first shot at a cask ale, loving the S-04 I kegged so far, just hope the fruitiness is not too far out of style, but still a good drinkin beer for sure.

Back