Well That Was Dumb...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildPirate

Reaction score
The last three batches I've made have all come out to about 3% ABV, about half of what each should have ended up. I've done an extract with specialty grains, mash-tun batch sparge all grain, and a BIAB full volume mash. I've used a muntons dry yeast, s-o5, and wyeast 1056. Each and every one has had a vigorous fermentation within about 12-24 hours that's lasted about 1 1/2 - 2 days then everything stops. I'll leave them in the primary for about a week to ten days then into the secondary for about 10 - 14 days with no other activity.

I've just realized that I haven't made a starter for any of these batches:smack::smack::smack::smack::smack:

I'm about to harvest the yeast off of my latest batch, will it be any good? Could I wash it and re-pitch it into my secondary to get the rest of the fermentables out? Then do a tertiary for clearing?

Are you using dry yeast for each of these? Dry yeast usually works fine for 5-6 gallon batches and I've actually had a bad experience trying to make a starter for dry yeast so now I only use dry yeast plus re-hydration or get liquid yeast vials and use a starter.

Liquid yeast need starters.

I use this calculator to determine if and when to use a starter:
http://yeastcalc.com/

I've used a muntons dry yeast, s-o5, and wyeast 1056. Each and every one has had a vigorous fermentation within about 12-24 hours that's lasted about 1 1/2 - 2 days then everything stops.

Are you using dry yeast for each of these?

Yeah, I also suspect failing to make a starter with dry yeast is not the issue here.

One batch was muntons dry yeast, one was safale dry yeast, and one was liquid wyeast

have you taken your OG readings before hand along with your FG readings??? maybe your efficiency wasn't that great

What temperature is the beer fermenting at? If it's especially cold (<55F), then the yeast may have gone dormant and dropped out. The other thing to look at is the fermentability of the wort. If you have a lot of unfermentables like crystal malts, or your ash temperature was very high (>160F) then your FG will be high.

have you taken your OG readings before hand along with your FG readings??? maybe your efficiency wasn't that great

Yep, my target with this last batch was 1.055 and I hit 1.054

What temperature is the beer fermenting at? If it's especially cold (<55F), then the yeast may have gone dormant and dropped out. The other thing to look at is the fermentability of the wort. If you have a lot of unfermentables like crystal malts, or your ash temperature was very high (>160F) then your FG will be high.

It stays at 65-68F at all times. Used very little crystals. BeerSmith has my target FG at 1.010-1.018 and I'm at 1.033. Mashed at 152F

BTW Where a bouts in STL are you? I lived there for 15 years before moving out here to CO

Yep, my target with this last batch was 1.055 and I hit 1.054

It stays at 65-68F at all times. Used very little crystals. BeerSmith has my target FG at 1.010-1.018 and I'm at 1.033. Mashed at 152F

BTW Where a bouts in STL are you? I lived there for 15 years before moving out here to CO

how long are you letting it ferment for? 1.033 is a ridiculously high number

8 days primary, 14 secondary

let it sit all 3 weeks in the primary, you very well may have taken it off the yeast too early while it was still fermenting, no need for a secondary unless you're racking on fruit or something unique like that. my last hefeweizen took 13 days to finish FERMENTING let along sit around and let flavors clean up

you moved the beer off of the yeast before it was done fermenting, no real reason to do that.

Ok so then I suppose my question is now, can I re-pitch my washed yeast I took from the primary?

Yes. I would also re-aerate the unfinished wort a little bit to help the yeast along. (Shake the carboy a minute)

Yes. I would also re-aerate the unfinished wort a little bit to help the yeast along. (Shake the carboy a minute)

If it was me I would not re-aerate the wort. First, you don't know that pitching more yeast is going to help. Then you'll just have oxidized high FG beer, rather than high FG beer. Also, I believe I've read that you shouldn't aerate beer that is more than 50% to it's FG (can't remember where I read this). Just aerate the pitched yeast if anything.

I live on the South Side of STL near Carondelet Park, but I've spent some time in South County as well.

Are you sure your thermometer is accurate? Perhaps mashing at too high a temp?

Back