Welding Shop CO2 - Medical grade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael1

Reaction score
I thought I would share that I got my 20 lb CO2 tank filled today at my local Capweld chain store. It cost $15.86 out the door. The guy said they actually buy all medical grade because once they bought another grade and it smelled a bit sulfurous because the purification wasn't good enough. He said the truckload price for medical grade is barely more than the beverage grade, so they just only buy medical grade.

My local Airgas was a pain. They charged $35 for a 20lb tank swap. They only swapped up to 20lb, otherwise you had to rent their tanks monthly. They won't refill a tank over 20lbs unless they own it. If you wanted your own tanks <20lbs refilled, you had to wait two weeks because they don't fill on site. I thought this was all pretty ridiculous. He said they used to fill on site, but because so many people are using this for beverages the federal government got involved. I didn't believe that part. So if you're looking for a CO2 place, go to the welding shops first!

Back