Welch's White Grape & Peach recipe...sugar question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intheswamp

Reaction score
Ok, re-inventing the wheel. I'm basically trying to figure out the sugar/OG aspect of this. I'm shooting for a 1.0992 OG which shows a potential ABV of from 13% to 14%. From what I can tell this comes up to 5.8 pounds (5lb 13oz) of sugar for 2.25 gallons. Here is what I've come up with in regards to sugar.

2.25 gallons Welch's White Grape & Peach
3lb 5oz white sugar

The 2.25 gallons of juice appears to have a little over 2lb 7oz of sugar in it. So additional sugar would be the 3lb 5oz as stated above.

I'm planning on using 71B yeast (make a starter) and adding pectin and ???.

This sound about right?
Thanks,
Ed

Sounds like it will turn out. Don’t complicate it. Pitch the dry yeast. Give her a swirl and cover with a clean towel.
Petic enzyme works well for busting fruit solids/cells

Sounds like it will turn out. Don’t complicate it. Pitch the dry yeast. Give her a swirl and cover with a clean towel.
Petic enzyme works well for busting fruit solids/cells
Thanks for the feedback, hamiltonkiler. I've got to wire a shed for a friend tomorrow and then in the next few days see if three gallons of seven year old traditional mead that has been sitting on fine lees is any good (it sure looks good :yes:). If it is good I've gotta bottle it (another learning curve to relearn quickly<g>). After that I'll be ready to start some wine. :ban:

I use about 2 lbs per gallon on my "store juice" wines. Use a hydrometer of you have one.
Wow, that's more sugar than I've been figuring...almost twice as much. I'll definitely be using a hydrometer but I thought I was getting a grip on the sugar part of the equation. I've been figuring the sugar in the juice and then adding to that enough to meet the requirements for the OG that I want to start at. I guess I'm trying to think too much.:rolleyes:

Looked at.my notes. I've been using.between 2 1/4 cups ( about a pound) and 2 pounds depending on what I want for ABV. So yeah, use the hydrometer

Latest posts

Back