Weizenbock critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
I'm not opposed to decoctions, step mashes, etc. I tend to use Northern Brewer. Due to it's lineage it's similar to noble hops but with more alpha acid which provides a better value for dollar.

Weizenbock

Boil Volume: 6.7G
Target Volume: 5.5G
OG: 1.080
FG: 1.019
IBU: ~27
ABV: 7.9
SRM: "17.6"
Efficiency: 74%

9.5# Flaked Wheat
8.5# Munich 10
0.33# Chocolate Malt

0.5oz Magnum @ 60
0.5oz Northern Brewer @60
0.5oz Northern Brewer @ 20

Treat 9G of distlled water with 3tsp of calcium chloride and 2.5tsp of Gypsum. Dough in with 2G @ 165 to hit 128F and rest for 20 minutes. Bring 3.75G to 169 and add to mash to reach sach rest @ 152 for a final ratio of 1.25qt/pnd per pound. Sparge with 3.5G @ 200F to collect 6.75G.

Chill and pitch 2qt of WLP830 slurry.

Are you sure you want flaked wheat instead of malted wheat? I believe you have to boil that first to get the starches out. But that might be interesting to see the difference if it would take up less volume or not.

Otherwise looks good, you may want to google Jamil's weizenbock recipe to see if they added any crystal malts, maybe you could just mash a little higher like 155 for 45 min and check to make sure starches are gone with iodine test.

Man, you got me wanting to do a weizenbock now next!:tank: I may use your recipe

Is 830 a typical yeast to use for this style? I thought it was technically an ale and was usually pitched with 300?

This style is, technically, an ale. "Bock" designation does not necessarily mean a lager. It's just a tax bracket used to classify higher abv beers. This style uses hefe yeast and is known for spice and phenols in the palate.

Brewed on 1/18. Efficiency was poor. Ended up at 1.060 post boil. Had some issues draining the mash tun even with a pound of hulls. Ended up moving it into a nylon sack which i think hurt me some.

Back