Weird Fermentation - Expert Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRUGBY

Reaction score
Brewed a barrel aged red ale on Saturday and this is what my fermenting bucket looks like 3 days later. No bubbles from the blow off tube or pressure on the bucket lid like usual. Recipe used 2 row, caramel, chocolate malt, wheat, corn sugar, and 1968 London ale yeast. I'm thinking it's a yeast issue. This is my 5th all grain batch and first time using my hydra wort chiller which cooled it to 65 degrees in minutes. Fermentation room temperature at 65 degrees as well. I didnt make a starter, just used the wyeast smack pack and through it in. Starting OG was 1.06 and I used a whisk for aeration.

Could it be:
Over/under aeration?
Not having a starter?

It didnt look separated this drastically yesterday. Is it fermenting and just not showing signs seeing it separated? If so, why such a massive trub in the bottom? Worst case, hopefully it has some alcohol and isn't my first "issue" batch. Thanks in advance for your input!

Attachments

• 20191126_180053.jpg
    20191126_180053.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
Was it fermenting? It looks like a krausen ring at the top. I would do a gravity reading.

It's possible you don't have the lid on all the way, and it's bypassing the blowoff.

That's what I thought, a tiny krausen ring at the top. Lid is on like normal, just double checked. Would another gravity reading help if all I get is the bottom half of the bucket full of sludge?

That's what I thought, a tiny krausen ring at the top. Lid is on like normal, just double checked. Would another gravity reading help if all I get is the bottom half of the bucket full of sludge?
Were you away? If not did you see it fermenting on day one a two?

If you look down at your trub you can see a clear yeast line that looks too be expelling co2 based on the upwards striations.

Take a gravity reading, that’s the only way to know if you completely missed fermentation or if it hasn’t happened. You have such little head space in that fermenter, that I’d be surprised if it fermented and you didn’t have Krausen in your blow off

Last edited:
If you missed fermentation and gravity is close to your target FG that's just the yeast settling after fermentation. If it's NOT fermented at all you'll know with a gravity reading and you should repitch yeast ASAP.

Hydrometer reading will answer your question.

Back