Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier Clone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, also in my previous brews. There was some clove but it really improved with T-58

Ps. Nice user name
Thanks.

About 6 months ago, I toyed with the idea of trying T-58 in a Weizen, and had it in an online shopping cart for quite a while, but ended up not being able to pull the trigger. Your post has got me considering it again...

MaischeMalzundMehr has two Weizen recipes that call for T-58. Unfortunately neither has much input from people who've tried it.

What was your pitch rate for the T-58, in grams per liter?

Thanks.

About 6 months ago, I toyed with the idea of trying T-58 in a Weizen, and had it in an online shopping cart for quite a while, but ended up not being able to pull the trigger. Your post has got me considering it again...

MaischeMalzundMehr has two Weizen recipes that call for T-58. Unfortunately neither has much input from people who've tried it.

What was your pitch rate for the T-58, in grams per liter?
I used the whole pack (11.5 grs) in 22 liters of most. Fermentation should start slow @18F to stress the yeast to produce phenols. Another advise is to do a double decoction to improve color and breadiness in the beer based in sillysir.com advise for batch#3. Attached is a snapshot from my brew plan.

Happy brewing!

Attachments

• 052E87BA-D2CA-45D6-8F55-EC4315BE11B5.jpeg
    052E87BA-D2CA-45D6-8F55-EC4315BE11B5.jpeg
    985.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I used the whole pack (11.5 grs) in 22 liters of most. Fermentation should start slow @18F to stress the yeast to produce phenols. Another advise is to do a double decoction to improve color and breadiness in the beer based in sillysir.com advise for batch#3. Attached is a snapshot from my brew plan.

Happy brewing!
Sorry for the typo, fermentation should start at 18C…

I finally got around to ordering some T-58. I had some wheat DME that was expiring this month (1/2 Muntons, 1/2 Briess), so I did a quick 7-liter extract batch with the T-58.

I fermented it in a corny keg with a blowoff tube at around 19C for the first two days, raised it to 23-24C for a day, then put a spunding valve on it and kept it at 25C until a total of 12 days of fermentation. Had to top it off with quite a bit of CO2 to get to where I wanted.

I'm drinking it now (on my 3rd or 4th one) and am very pleased with the results. Prominent banana esters, no unwanted tartness. I don't detect much spiciness, and it's clearer than expected, but it definitely has potential.

T-58 Weihenstephaner.jpg

This was just a quick and easy trial to see what the yeast could do. I hope I can get the same or better results when I try it with an all-grain batch and a ferulic acid rest.

Thanks for the encouragement, @SenorbaC!

Last edited:
I started brewing 25+ years ago to make Weissbier, I was a German major and studied in Vienna for a semester. I came back disappointed that German imports don’t taste nearly as fresh here since they’re pasteurized.
I recently tried a couple different steps in my last (and best) Weissbier I made. I used 50% German wheat, 30% Pilsner and 20% Light Munich. From what I read Weihenstephan uses 60% wheat, 20% Pilsner, 20% Light Munich. I followed Schneider Weisse’s mash schedule, which is mash in at 35C for 10 min, heat to 45C for 10 min, heat to 50C for 10 min, then heat to 64C for 5 min. A decoction is then pulled, heated to 67C for 10 min, 70C for 20 min, then boiled for 5 min. Mix to mash out at 75C.
The other step I did is called Hopfentriebe (I think). Once fermentation produces a prominent rocky head, the top is skimmed to remove hop and protein particulates. They appear dark in color, easy to scoop off with a sanitized steel spoon. Just be careful (obviously) to be quick and careful about it so as not to infect the batch. I did this twice on day 2, and once each of the next two days. The result was a MUCH smoother character in the finished beer, it didn’t have any rough edges and was worth the effort. I now see why the Germans do this top cropping. Easy to do in a SS Brewbucket or similar fermenter.

Back