Weihenstephan...back to the drawing board!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i bought some Weihenstephan tonight...the hefeweizen and the dunkelweizen. going to give them a taste test and see what the big deal is :D

(i think i've actually had this before, but couldn't remember...)

DeathBrewer said:
i bought some Weihenstephan tonight...the hefeweizen and the dunkelweizen. going to give them a taste test and see what the big deal is :D

(i think i've actually had this before, but couldn't remember...)
They're both very good. The first time I ever tried the Dunkel I was in grad school and had a Polish friend...he wanted me to go to a Polish restaurant that had opened with him, so I did. When we got there it was closed due to a ruptured pipe and the owner was in tears. I guess he was a little dramatic by nature and thought he was ruined because his restaurant was essentially flooded. My buddy spoke to him a bit in Polish and we wound up drinking all night with him (Weihenstephan Dunkels, on the house), and a week later he was opened up for business again.

Are there better Hefeweizens than Weihenstephan? Well, probably. I guess it really depends on your taste. But it is essentially the gold standard of the style to me, and a fantastic place to start.

jvh261 said:
Just wanted to prost this thread as theres a lot of good info here.

My hefe is on day 3 of fermenting now. Used Wyeast 3068 and its around 66degrees. Planning on just leaving it in primary for 10 - 14 days and bottling. Brewing a Dunkel when I rack it for bottling and just dumping it on the yeast cake that same day.

I'm doing the exact same thing this Saturday. Steam mashing a hefe with a glucan rest, beta, alpha, and mashout, then following up with a dunkel to pitch on the cake at racking. :mug:

I did a single decoction with this recipie last year before I built the steam masher and it turned out great.

11.50 lbs. Wheat Malt
8.25 lbs. Pilsner
1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
1.00 lbs. Rice Hulls

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

1.40 oz. Hallertau Whole

WYeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat

I made 2 German Hef's this last summer. The first was fermented at 65F and had a nice clove to bananna balance and no off flavors, it was fabulous. The second one was the same recipe 50% wheet and 50% Pilsner and fermented at 70-72 and had way more bananna esters. Both used WLP300 yeast. Both were aged 4 weeks.

Baron von BeeGee said:
They're both very good. The first time I ever tried the Dunkel I was in grad school and had a Polish friend...he wanted me to go to a Polish restaurant that had opened with him, so I did. When we got there it was closed due to a ruptured pipe and the owner was in tears. I guess he was a little dramatic by nature and thought he was ruined because his restaurant was essentially flooded. My buddy spoke to him a bit in Polish and we wound up drinking all night with him (Weihenstephan Dunkels, on the house), and a week later he was opened up for business again.

Are there better Hefeweizens than Weihenstephan? Well, probably. I guess it really depends on your taste. But it is essentially the gold standard of the style to me, and a fantastic place to start.
well, the "original premium" actually has a bit of a lager taste. i can taste a lot of sulfur...it doesn't say anything about a weizen...perhaps this is their lager? maybe the store mislabeled? the bottle doesn't say it's a weizen. anyway...it's good. very low head retention...very clear. this HAS to be a lager...i'll probably drink the dunkel tomorrow and post again...

DeathBrewer said:
yeah, i think i got their lager...damn whole foods...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/712

Yes, they make more than the Weizen.

I think that there is not one standard for Weizens. There are just so many nuances of flavor that you can get and you'll have to find one that you like most. Weihenstephan Weizen is heavy on the clove side, which I generally don't like so much. There are also neutral types (i think Erdinger is like that), fruity types (where you get the banana) and yeasty types (the aroma is more yeast like).

Kai

Kaiser said:
Yes, they make more than the Weizen.

I think that there is not one standard for Weizens. There are just so many nuances of flavor that you can get and you'll have to find one that you like most. Weihenstephan Weizen is heavy on the clove side, which I generally don't like so much. There are also neutral types (i think Erdinger is like that), fruity types (where you get the banana) and yeasty types (the aroma is more yeast like).

Kai
i actually like more of the clove flavor, i ferment my weizens on the low side. whole foods clearly had this marked as a hefeweizen in the aisle, though...i should see what they charged me for, lol.

DeathBrewer said:
i actually like more of the clove flavor, i ferment my weizens on the low side. whole foods clearly had this marked as a hefeweizen in the aisle, though...i should see what they charged me for, lol.

Is it also labeled as Weizen or Weissbier on the bottle?

Kai

Latest posts

Back