Weed infused honey in mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Riggs

Reaction score
I live in Washington State where marijuana is "legal" just to let you all know.

I mentioned to a co-worker of mine that I make mead and have shared a couple bottles with him of previous batches I've made. The other day, he told me that his retired father grows plants and make weed infused foods (cookies, brownies, lemon cakes, angel food cake).

He had brought up to his father that I homebrew and he thought of the idea of weed-infused honey to use in a batch of mead.

Has anyone tried this before? I'm afraid of the fermentation will have negative effects on the THC levels and render it negligible. And waste all the time and effort.

Anyway, let me know if you've tried or know someone who has.

Also, Happy Easter!

From what i understand thc is fat soluble and so most people use cannabis oil to make edibles with coconut oil and cannabis. Since oil and water dont mix I do not think you would get a single liquid.

The admins will lock this thread I'm sure.
Ferment first, then dry hop.
Somebody in Denver does this to beer.
But you can/should only drink one.
The amount of weed used HAS to be measured
Otherwise it is too potent.

I also live in Washington. Don't personally care for the stuff. You need to decarboxylate the product first. That means heating it above 240 degrees F for at least 20 min. You then can easily use USP grade alcohol to make a tincture. This info is from a legal and legitimate medical patient.
Not all marijuana is for recreational use.
A couple of people have asked about this process at our local beekeepers meetings. Also medical users.

From what i understand thc is fat soluble and so most people use cannabis oil to make edibles with coconut oil and cannabis. Since oil and water dont mix I do not think you would get a single liquid.

That's a good point. I didn't really consider that.

You need to decarboxylate the product first.

Then should I try to dry hop it?

Marijuana in closely related to hops, so I would use it as you would hops and hop for the best (i.e., use the flowers themselves, not the oil). I'm sure it will flavor the mead significantly, but may not be highly psychoactive.

Marijuana in closely related to hops, so I would use it as you would hops and hop for the best (i.e., use the flowers themselves, not the oil). I'm sure it will flavor the mead significantly, but may not be highly psychoactive.

That's also what I'm afraid of. The whole point of marijuana is to get high... so I've been told. ;)

I've YouTubed people making weed-infused honey by decarboxylating into coconut oil and blending it into the honey.

Now I know oil and water don't mix, but with it being mixed into the honey make a difference or will it just separate during fermentation?

I might have to do a small gallon or even half gallon batch to try it out. Or even 2 half gallon batches and do one with infused honey and the other by dry hopping it.

Expect a thread of the results in the coming months.

Ya'll are crossing over the line of our rules. As a reminder:

We allow discussion in regards to using Marijuana / Cannabis as a brewing agent on the forum.

What does this mean? You can discuss it in regards to brewing, but any open discussion of the recreational use of Marijuana outside of brewing will be removed. Please do not post pictures of your grow setup, or anything outside of the art of brewing, nor can you discuss the growing, or techniques of growing.

Marijuana is still illegal in some states, so I do ask that those discussing it be limited to the laws of their individual states. As I do not know all of them it will be to you the member to decide your state's legal application of marijuana laws.

NO discussion of tinctures, no discussion of effects, etc. The only discussion will be for the use as a brewing ingredient.

Take a look at www.bluelight.org. Cannabis. You'll find lots of info there. We are going to seriously limit the discussion here, per rules. Like Yooper said, you can talk about it as an ingredient, but most of the details of isomerization and THC extraction and stuff are gonna get removed until it's legal in Texas, or everywhere, which isn't far off. A buddy of mine just called me an hour ago from a dispensary in Ft Collins :)

We allow discussion in regards to using Marijuana / Cannabis as a brewing agent on the forum.

What does this mean? You can discuss it in regards to brewing, but any open discussion of the recreational use of Marijuana outside of brewing will be removed. Please do not post pictures of your grow setup, or anything outside of the art of brewing, nor can you discuss the growing, or techniques of growing.

Marijuana is still illegal in some states, so I do ask that those discussing it be limited to the laws of their individual states. As I do not know all of them it will be to you the member to decide your state's legal application of marijuana laws.

NO discussion of tinctures, no discussion of effects, etc. The only discussion will be for the use as a brewing ingredient.

My apologies to the people of this forum. I did not know. Won't happen again.

I apologize. I thought I was remaining within those rules. The main point at hand was brewing related. Maybe a little side tracked with the extraction process of ingredients, but still maintained the intention of brewing in mind.

And a question relating to that. When/if a write-up/recipe about brewing with said recreational drug is made, members SHOULDN'T include pictures containing Marijuana? Or since the drug is being used for brewing purpose, the pictured, in question, would be considered okay?

I understand a thin line is being walked and wish to not upset any members/mods or owner(s) of the forum.

It is true that THC is soluble in fat. It is also soluble in alcohol. I would suggest that if you attempt this, ferment out a fairly high gravity brew with a lot of flavor, something like a dubbel or stout with a lot of roasted grains. Dry hop with a golden hash rather than the whole flower. Using the whole flower will add plant matter to your brew. It will turn green and have a grassy taste.

Edit: Forgot this was the mead forum... Chang my style recommendation from dubbel/stout to a melomel or braggot.

@ChrisVZ - Well, I could start a blueberry mead and then add the hash. It might be a little cheeky, but I might call it Blueberry Yum Yum. lol

Anyway, I have thoughts and ideas. Even got the wife to agree to let me try it. YES!!!

Be back in a couple months with a write-up/recipe... maybe. Gotta finish the 6 gallons I've got going now. lol

Another thought about the process. It may be a good idea to add the hash to a couple ounces of a neutral liquor like vodka or everclear to dissolve it. That way you can keep any solids from making it into your must.

Making weed infused mead is rather simple.
Making weed infused honey to use in mead isn't.
I wouldn't even bother trying to use weed infused honey because i doubt you will have any weed smell or flavor left after fermentation.
Just add the buds to your carboy after primary fermentation just as you would dry hop a beer. I would suggest you disinfect them and to soak them like this guy does in this weed infused beer. This gets rid of possible infections, toxins and some tars.
Most important thing to remember, DON'T ADD BEFORE FERMENTATION IS COMPLETE or you will not have any weed flavor or aroma at all.

I just finished a test batch of weed mead and it's horrible. I did everything wrong. It smells like week old opened skunky beer. Very hoppy smell. I was wanting to experiment and I anticipated it not being great but I guess I wanted to know how bad a full ferment would be. Now I know what not to do and what to do...

Decarb in oven then dry hop! TCH will dissolve in a high enough proof so if you can rank out a 20% plus alcohol content then try dry hopping. If you don't care to be a purist, you can take a little everclear or moonshine and pull your THC out that way then mix it.

This should make a nice medicinal sleepy time mead.

Latest posts

Back