Wee Heavy Nottingham Not Floccing in Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rkb1983

Reaction score
I brewed a Wee Heavy (extract) in June 2015. Fermented for about a month, and then secondary for 2-3 months. It's been in the bottles ever since. I used two packets of Nottingham, but fermented it too hot. I didn't cool it enough before pitching (I know, rookie mistake) and I was trying to chase the temp down the next day when it was already too late. I think it got up to the high 70s. Strong banana scent for a while when it was fermenting. It was totally clear in the secondary, and after the long secondary, I added a half packet of Notty when bottling out of fear that it wouldn't have enough yeast in suspension. I try this one every month or so, and the yeast is refusing to drop out. It's settling on the bottom of the bottle, but when I pour, it's super hazy. I put the bottles in the fridge for at least a few days too. The beer is slowly tasting better after being a bit of a hot fusel mess at first, but the cloudiness is really bothering me. The carbonation seems pretty low, but that's probably from me not using enough sugar to carb. I bet the carbonation calculator thinks that there's CO2 in suspension but that's not the case when the beer has been in the secondary for so long.

1) What could be the reason for this beer not clearing for so long, after looking totally clear in the secondary?

2) Is there anything I can do to clear the beer?

Back