Wedding Citrus IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgauthier20420

Reaction score
I'm working on a Citrus IPA for my brother's wedding next June. I'm brewing a test batch this weekend, and I'm trying to get an idea of what hop combinations will give me the best results. He mentioned he's wanting an orange flavor to it, and I'd like to make the best attempt to get this from the hops with minimal addition of orange peel. Although I am going to add something like .5 oz of bitter orange peel or so. Here's what the grain bill is looking like. Feel free to critique it also:

Pale 2-row - 8 lbs
Wheat Malt - 1 lb
Special B - 8 oz
Aromatic - 4 oz
CaraPils - 4 oz

I'll be bittering with Northern Brewer. Citrus hop options include Amarillo, Apollo, Cascade, and Centennial. I think I'd like to utilize these options together in combination if possible. I'm not too sure how available Amarillo is around me and I've never used Apollo.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: This is a 5g batch and I get about 80% eff.

I would use Amarillo if available. I think a three C's version would be a good idea for what you are describing, Cascade, Centennial, and Citra.

Citra brings more grapefruit notes than anything in my opinion, which is why it is one of my favorite hops to use for flavor and aroma hops.

I'd ditch the special B and aromatic. If you want a relatively hop forward beer, those are just going to muddle things IMO. Also, I really love citra and amarillo.

I did a basically 85% 2 row, 5% crystal 20, wheat, and carapils. Bitter with citra, then hop burst with a combo of citra and amarillo. CAl ale or wlp007.

I'd ditch the special B and aromatic. If you want a relatively hop forward beer, those are just going to muddle things IMO. Also, I really love citra and amarillo.

I did a basically 85% 2 row, 5% crystal 20, wheat, and carapils. Bitter with citra, then hop burst with a combo of citra and amarillo. CAl ale or wlp007.

The aromatic was in there cause it's been sitting, but the special B is meant to give it the color I'm looking for and hopefully retain a somewhat maltier sweetness to balance out the hops.

HOWEVER, I've recently found out that by brother is wanting a Citrus Wheat instead of a Citrus IPA. My miss I guess. So.....I'm planning a BIG Hefe with 10 lbs Wheat, 4 lbs Pale, 1 lbs Flaked Oats, and the peel of 3 oranges and 3 lemons along with .5 oz of bitter orange peel. Northern Brewer to bitter with a 60 minute addition and that's it. Thoughts?

Don't worry, I'm still gonna do the IPA because it sounds awesome!

Latest posts

Back