Way to much..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tizzomes

Reaction score
I brewed a white IPA today with a final gravity of 1.072. When I poured it into my 6.5g Big Mouth Bubbler fermenter I ended up with 6 gallons. I just topped it off with the yeast I had on the stir plate and it's creeping up there to the top. My question is when fermentation begins will I lose any yeast because of the kraeusen?? Basically will I lose yeast in my blow off tube?View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465012696.155575.jpg

I usually end up with a bit of yeast sediment in the bottom of my blow off water bucket but when your at high krausen, the yeast loss is nominal.

I do this high-octane version of a Trappist refectory ale using wy3787 and without fail - even with a solid 1.5 gallons of head space in the carboy and under strict temperature control - there will be a boisterous fermentation that ends up leaving a good quarter inch of almost pure yeast at the bottom of a gallon catch bottle. And the beer always hits the expected FG anyway.

I've been sooo tempted to scavenge and reuse that yeast but I never have.
I over-build starters and save the excess for the next go-round instead...

Cheers!

Thanks for advice! Since my original post which was Friday night it's been a monster. I used WLP Belgian Wit 400 definitely a slow start but by late Saturday it kicked started and been pumping out yeast farts. Lol . Things are calming down and switched out to a regular air lock. Just hoping I end up with a low enough F.G
Cheers [emoji482]

Back