Waxing bottle tops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
Corked my mead a few weeks ago and now going to put a wax dipped seal on the top of the bottles. I got the wax nuggets and know they need to be melted. Any tips on what to use and temps. Also, any tips on the process beyond the obvious?

Id be interested in hearing more pro advice on this as well. If left to my own devices Id make a double boiler with a pot and a coffee can, using a ladle to pour the melted wax on my bottle tops...

That link pretty much covers everything you need to know other than the feel you need to get a perfect finish, it will take a few bottles. Also I recommend filling in the tops of your bottles first, if the cork is slightly recessed, as this will give you a much cleaner finish.

Good luck!

Just to finish off the thread for future researchers, here is what I ended up doing:

Put the wax chips in a cleaned empty veggie can set inside a small pan of boiling water. Get a pan deep enough to put the lid on and it will melt the wax faster. Filled the recessed tops of the bottles with way using a plastic knife and let it dry. Found a small propane bottle with a clicker-ignighter worked great to quickly melt the wax to seal good on top and smooth it out. Dipped the bottle tops and the wax clumped on top and did not look good at all (maybe I could not get the wax hot enough to flow well). Used the propane torch again in short bursts to get the wax to start flowing down the bottle. Took a few to get the hang of it - but it really turned out nice and helped the finish.

I now have 24 - 375ml bottles and 12 - 750ml bottles waxed and ready for labels for Christmas.

Just a thought for waxing. Since this is a mead forum have you ever thought of using honeybee's wax?

Back