Waving from the Netherlands šŸ‘‹

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelTrubbel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I started home brewing this year.

It began with a christmas gift: my girlfriend and her mom gifted me an all-grain IPA beer kit + a book about brewing.
(out of the blue. They are awesome :D )

I brewed my 1st beer, read the book from cover-to-cover and I was hooked.
Since then I've been doing extract brewing. I find a proven recipe and do my own shopping.

My 3rd batch was a Belgian saison which turned out great - it made me fall in love with the style.
I am now planning my 5th batch while the 4th is carbonating in bottles.

Along the way I bought into some more gear and made an immersion wort chiller.
Here's a picture, taken just before a 'dry run' test with boiling water. I put it in use for my last batch, worked very well:
20211204_145353.jpg

I love Belgian-style beers (all types including the funky ones e.g Geuze, Lambic), IPAs, NEIPAs, Stouts.

This forum kept popping up every time I search for issues/questions - and the discussions are great.
So thought it's time to participate.

Hope to meet new people to share this awesome hobby with ;)

Last edited:
Almost forgot: I ferment kimchi as well. Made 3 batches so far they all turned out good. Not as funky and off putting as some people say.
I never tried the "hard core" long-fermented kimchi from Korea, that it probably a different ball game. Mine comes out tangy and with just a little funk, not more than you might find in lambic, kriek or other wild-fermented beers.

Here is a batch of kimchi I made, fermenting alongside a batch of belgian Blond in the corner ;)
kimchi.jpg

Hi all, I started home brewing this year.

It began with a christmas gift: my girlfriend and her mom gifted me an all-grain IPA beer kit + a book about brewing.
(out of the blue. They are awesome :D )

I brewed my 1st beer, read the book from cover-to-cover and I was hooked.
Since then I've been doing extract brewing. I find a proven recipe and do my own shopping.

My 3rd batch was a Belgian saison which turned out great - it made me fall in love with the style.
I am now planning my 5th batch while the 4th is carbonating in bottles.

Along the way I bought into some more gear and made an immersion wort chiller.
Here's a picture, taken just before a 'dry run' test with boiling water. I put it in use for my last batch, worked very well:
View attachment 751138

I love Belgian-style beers (all types including the funky ones e.g Geuze, Lambic), IPAs, NEIPAs, Stouts.

This forum kept popping up every time I search for issues/questions - and the discussions are great.
So thought it's time to participate.

Hope to meet new people to share this awesome hobby with ;)

Are you in Amsterdam?

Welcome, sounds like your girfriend is a keeper.

What is your next "upgrade", kegerator? I started out extract brewing and when I made the jump to all-grain I also started kegging my beer (I hate bottling entire batches).

Like you, I enjoy many flavors of beers. I have a Belgian saison carbonating and brewed a 10 gal batch of an Imperial Coconut Porter today.

I like my Technivorm coffee maker from the Netherlands. Not many things are handmade anymore.

Prost!

Welcome to the madness from Sweden. Soon you will own 3 fridges and seriously wonder about wich room you could turn into a dedicated brewing-room

Hej, tack! Haha yes. Are you from Iceland originally? Your location text looks Icelandic.

I've lived in the 'neighborhood' for a while, Copenhagen Denmark. ;) Good craft beer in the area.
Only been to Malmƶ in Sweden though.. The bar scene appeared a bit toned down compared to Denmark.

Welcome, sounds like your girfriend is a keeper.

What is your next "upgrade", kegerator? I started out extract brewing and when I made the jump to all-grain I also started kegging my beer (I hate bottling entire batches).

Like you, I enjoy many flavors of beers. I have a Belgian saison carbonating and brewed a 10 gal batch of an Imperial Coconut Porter today.

I like my Technivorm coffee maker from the Netherlands. Not many things are handmade anymore.

Prost!
Thanks. I do not feel ready for a kegerator yet, feels like many big steps at once (keg+tap+temp control).
Although I really should control fermentation temp, and that means some sort of fermentation chamber.
So that feels like the next big step.

I have been looking how to fit an extra fridge in our apartment without it taking over the space. There is no way getting away with it.
So I am not sure what to do.

I researched if I could build a 'pack-away' chamber, like an isolated box I can take apart, cooled by peltier elements maybe.
Then read about people trying and failing miserably with peltiers, so back to the drawing board.

I have a Belgian saison carbonating and brewed a 10 gal batch of an Imperial Coconut Porter
That sounds awesome. I seen an extract coconut stout recipe somewhere and been wanting to try

EDIT: forgot to react on the coffee machine - good stuff! ;) You wouldn't be impressed with my setup though.

Last edited:
Hej, tack! Haha yes. Are you from Iceland originally? Your location text looks Icelandic.

I've lived in the 'neighborhood' for a while, Copenhagen Denmark. ;) Good craft beer in the area.
Only been to Malmƶ in Sweden though.. The bar scene appeared a bit toned down compared to Denmark.
I'm from Sweden born and raised, the text is old norse and is loosely based on the " land of ice and snow" part in Immigrant song by Led Zeppelin.

Welcome to the madness we call a hobby. Have fun and enjoy your homebrew. That's what it's all about. The sooner you start keeping and controlling fermentation temperatures the happier you will be. You can control fermentation temp with a simply immersion chiller, pond pump and an ice water bucket.

Back