Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo68710

Reaction score
I got my brew kit for christmas and have my recipe I've been working on for a few months ready to go. I'm starting small just a 2.5 gallon batch to get my feet wet. Doing a full wort boil, extract plus grain DIPA. My question is I have read that using distilled water is fine for extract brewing because it has everything in the extract but what about when I steep my grains can I use distilled for that or should I use plain old bottled drinking water?

At this point, I do not think it will matter. Use which ever is easier for you.

When you start doing all grain, PH is important.

When you get better then, water profiles will come into play, like recreating water from Burton on Trent, UK for an IPA.

Happy Brewing!!

A believe there has been a few posts regarding this recently. If you use the search feature, you might get a lot of information regarding this.

But you are right, distilled water is ok for extract because the extract has all the minerals you should need. If you are steeping special grains before putting in the extract, it is still ok to use distilled as you will be getting the minerals from that extract. Water comes more into play when you are doing all grain.

Generally for extract if you can drink your tap water you can brew with it. Also, your going to steep the grains, remove them, and then add extract and hops in the same water. So your steep water is your boil water. Good luck!

PS I use a 4.5 gallon brew pot and I steep with 2 gallons of water because by the time i add my extract and hops, the boil volume increases to about 3.5 gallons. U dont want to run out of room in your brewpot. boilovers SUCK!

Taste your tap water. If there is any chlorine or off taste, use bottled or distilled. If not, save yourself the trouble and use tap.

My tap water is great for brewing and even topping off unboiled.

Back