Water Volumes for 1g All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STL_Lucas

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm all set to do my first All Grain batch tomorrow and I'm just doing a 1 gallon SMASH brew. I'm using Beersmith for all of my calculations but I'm not sure how much evaporation to account for in my equipment profile. I'm doing a 60 minute boil in a 4 gallon kettle. Hoping to account for evaporation and trub loss to get as much wort into my 1 gallon fermenter as possible. Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I'd guess (and this is a guess) that you will get anywhere from .5-1 gallon boil off from a 4 gallon pot. I get .7 gallons with a 3 gallon pot so take it from there. Better to have more than less...good luck

I have a 5gl pot that I fill with 4gl, and I get maybe 1.1gl per hour, thats a fairly vigorous boil. If you want to be sure, fill your pot with 3gl of water, boil for 60 min, then measure. It will give you a ballpark.

This website has a great spreadsheet to download. If you have a straight sided kettle and measure it and put the info in it will tell you your boil off rate. It's pretty accurate as I've done a boil off test three times on my own and each time it was the same as the spreadsheet. You may need to join the forum to download it.

http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=189

I'd guess you are going to need, depending on the diameter of your pot, close to 3 gallons of water. This takes into account the grain absorption and boil off.. depending on how vigorous your boil is.

The suggestion above to give it a try or two is good because only you know how vigorous a boil you will be ending up with.

Back