Water Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakbarn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Water density changes with temperature. 6 and 1/2 gallons at 55 degrees is not the same volume at 170 F. If I am trying to add water for a Batch Sparge, does it make a significant difference in the volume of water I add. I am not that "an L" but the thought came up as I was calibrating a volume sensor.

I know those standards, and and if Brewing 11 gals, there would be a difference between cooled wort and End of Boil wort by about 4% would be about 10.66 gal. if doing a 22 gal batch, 21.22 difference. This could effect the HBU calculations. so if I really want an 11 gal end batch, my end of Boil volume would be 11.46 while 22 in the fermentor would be 22.9 at the end of boil.

Does anyone know if BeerSmith 3 uses this in the calculations?

Water density changes with temperature. 6 and 1/2 gallons at 55 degrees is not the same volume at 170 F. If I am trying to add water for a Batch Sparge, does it make a significant difference in the volume of water I add. I am not that "an L" but the thought came up as I was calibrating a volume sensor.

More info on what you're doing and what time you're adding it?

Are you trying to evaluate your mash temperature wort, thinking of your final volume, and wondering how much sparge water to use? Factoring boil off of course?

Or something else?

Very roughly speaking, for a 5 gallon brew, the volume at room temp will increase about 1/8 gallon at mash temp, and an additional 1/8 gallon at boil temps. When I'm done boiling I subtract a 1/4 gallon from what I see on the kettle markings to get an idea of the volume when it cools back off. And of course the kettle markings are off but that's a different subject.

We normally brew big batches. ( like 22 gals). I was thinking mostly if the top off water at the end of boil ( if required). We batch sparge but just add until about 1” above the grain bed. We now have a method to know the volume added so that is part of my interest.

Does anyone know if BeerSmith 3 uses this in the calculations?

Yes, explicitly.

1675734403758.png

Cheers!

Back