Water volume help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIAKillerXJ

Reaction score
Trying to start a brew this morning with no coffee and my brain is having issues.

25gallon kettle
61 lbs of grain
15 gal batch
2 gal/hr evap 60 min boil

What kinda starting volume can I pull off here?

Ok, from the rackers calculator....."can I mash it"

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

rough figures...

61 lbs at 1.33 Qt / lb results in 25.16 gallons or 20 1/3 gallons strike less 5 gallons absorbtion and 2 gallons boiloff yields a 13 gallon batch.

IMHO you will need to sparge 3-4 gallons....I find it easiest to position the bag over kettle and pour a few gallons slowly through the bag.

61 lb grain bill...please take some pics...my personal best is only about 35 lbs.

Good luck and cheers!

wilserbrewer said:
Ok, from the rackers calculator....."can I mash it" http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml rough figures... 61 lbs at 1.33 Qt / lb results in 25.16 gallons or 20 1/3 gallons strike less 5 gallons absorbtion and 2 gallons boiloff yields a 13 gallon batch. IMHO you will need to sparge 3-4 gallons....I find it easiest to position the bag over kettle and pour a few gallons slowly through the bag. 61 lb grain bill...please take some pics...my personal best is only about 35 lbs. Good luck and cheers!

So I basically want to fill to the brim. So do I start with ~20 or fill to 25?

billl said:
Good lord! What are you making? 15 Gallons of a 1.110 OG?

That's exactly what I'm doing. Barelywine time!

image-1075881121.jpg

image-1381087171.jpg

Winching it up with my jeep haha

Beersmith was one of the best homebrew purchases i've made. No calculations necessary.

JeffD1 said:
Beersmith was one of the best homebrew purchases i've made. No calculations necessary.

Yea I have it. Also had done the Green Bay rackers calc on my own, but was having brain farts this morning. Normally have no issues but this was at capacity and freaking me out a bit

fvirzi said:
Winching it up with my jeep.... Greatest phrase ever!! It's a jeep thing!!!!!

Kudos pal! That sounds like a helluva brew day! Let us know how it turns out.

divrguy said:
Kudos pal! That sounds like a helluva brew day! Let us know how it turns out.

Will do. This was a recipe that I did last year with fantastic results, but only 5 gals.

For anyone that questions big beer and big batch efficiency with BIAB, I still hit my numbers perfectly at 70%. Not to shabby I'd say!

Already bubbling away this morning happily.

Back