Water science and Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbkdev

Reaction score
I just moved into a house that has over $10,000 worth of equipment treating the well water. It has water radon mitigation systems (both bubble up and carbon) has a water softner, a tank for removing iron, and a reverse osmosis system....I need to get a water test/report but do you think its even worth using the water for brewing after all that?

Water science for brewing was the next subject I wanted to try to master anyways since Poland spring water is costing me like $9 a brew day. I plan to pickup and read Palmers book on the subject this weekend. Any other resources on the subject you can recommend?

Personally, I would pull a sample from before all that crap and have it tested. Either your well has crappy water or the previous owner was paranoid. (I'm leaning towards the second.)

About a year and a half ago I inherited the house that my grandfather built. I brew with the untreated well water and am producing MUCH better beers than I was using the tap water that we had in Michigan.

Many people on this forum have RO systems installed specifically for brewing including myself. It essentially gives you a clean slate to work with. You will need to add salts to the RO water depending on personal preferance/taste. The primer in the brewing science will help get you started. I would order a TDS meter in order to verify that the water has a low mineral content and the system is functioning.

Ok. My well definitely had iron, hard water, and radon, I just don't have the report anymore. Need to get another.

If you have an RO system- it's perfect for brewing! That would be an ideal source for brewing water.

Really? But isn't it going to be stripped of everything imaginable by the time I get it with all those systems?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

Really? But isn't it going to be stripped of everything imaginable by the time I get it with all those systems?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

Hopefully!

Then, you can add a tiny bit of calcium chloride and/or gypsum if you feel you have to add something to it.

There is a "water primer" in the Brew Science area of the forum that covers this pretty well in a simple "how to".

Hopefully!

Then, you can add a tiny bit of calcium chloride and/or gypsum if you feel you have to add something to it.

There is a "water primer" in the Brew Science area of the forum that covers this pretty well in a simple "how to".

Awesome!

Back