Water Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkirkland

Reaction score
So i sent off a sample to Ward Labs and these are my results: I will be brewing a IIPA this weekend. Any suggestions for my tap water. I used some brew water calculations and looks like to get into the suggested range from Palmer i only need about 1 gram of gypsom and 1 gram of epson salt

Any suggestions?

pH 7.7
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 232
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.39
Cations / Anions, me/L 4.0 / 3.9

ppm
Sodium, Na 30
Potassium, K 6
Calcium, Ca 43
Magnesium, Mg 4
Total Hardness, CaCO3 124
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.7 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 14
Chloride, Cl 40
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 111
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 91
Total Phosphorus, P 0.01
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

You won't need any Epsom salts. You will need to dispose of the alkalinity either by dilution with 2 parts RO water (see the Primer) or with 0.8*91/50 = 1.5 mL of 10% phosphoric acid per L of water and then some for the malt proton deficit. Having neutralized the alkalinity of the water with phosphoric (or having knocked it out with dilution) you can just use a % or 2 sauermalz as the source for this latter acid. If you choose dilution then some calcium supplementation, probably with the sulfate, perhaps 2 - 5 grams/5 gal, would be a good idea.

So dilute with RO water? What are the final parameters that i am trying to hit?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You want the alkalinity with respect to mash pH to be as low as possible. Calcium 30 - 100; chloride 30 - 150; sulfate 0 - 300. You don't need magnesium (unless you are looking for its particular flavor effects) but it doesn't hurt to have some.

Back