Water report feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarksc4

Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions on my water. I've always brewed with my tap water, I've started adding campden tablets. I've brewed a fairly wide range of ales. Dark to light, hoppy to malty and I've been fairly happy with each one. I'm becoming more interested in the real meat of brewing science though. Before my next brew session I'm going to print out that chart on John palmers website (momnograph?) and see where my numbers fall. In the meantime, any suggestions?
Lansing, MI- according Lansing board of water and light website
Analyte Reported as mg/l
(except as noted)
Typical Concentration Range
Calcium CaCO3 50 40-60
Magnesium CaCO3 40 30-40
Total Hardness* CaCO3 90 85-100
Carbonate (CO3) CaCO3 20 15-30
Bicarbonate (HCO3) CaCO3 15 10-25
Total alkalinity CaCO3 35 25-60
Sodium* Na 44 30-60
Iron* Fe 0.2 0.1-0.5
Sulfate* SO4 70 40-150
Chloride* Cl 46 10-100
Chloramine Cl2 (at plant tap) 2.0 1.0-3.5
pH pH units 9.4 9.2-9.8

Recognize that the Ca, Mg, CO3, and HCO3 values are given in (as CaCO3) units and those have to be converted to actual concentrations of those ions before its really useful. Visit the Bru'n Water site, Bru'n Water has a set of conversion tools to assist with that work.

Is there an iOS water calculator? Either an app or a web based calculator?

I've been reading up on the water Chem and I think my RA is 15, which is better for beers on the lighter side. My Ca and SO4 are a little low, but that can be fixed with gypsum, which I did for my last brew that was a Rye IPA. I think I'm going to try using ascorbic acid to remove chloramines in the future, I seem to remember reading that campden tablets could cause problems for someone with sulfite sensitivity. Is this accurate?problems for so

Back