water report and where my bicarbonates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknoty

Reaction score
have a look and see if i'm missing something but i can't find it....

i'm trying to plug the required values into promash.

Regional Water Authority, 90 Sargent Drive, New Haven
Physical, Field, Bacteriological and Inorganic Data
Water Distribution System - Water Quality Data - November 2009

Parameters Lake Gaillard Water Treatment Plant Units Maximum Contaminant
Level
Color 0 Color Units (CU) 15 CU (SS)
Turbidity 0.08 NTUs 5 NTU
pH 7.1 Units >6.4 - <10.0
Free Chlorine 1.8 mg/L 4.0 mg/L
Total Chlorine 2.0 mg/L 4.0 mg/L
Water Temperature 15 Degrees C. na
Alkalinity 18 mg/L 185 mg/L (SS)
Conductivity 96 umhos/cm na
Chloride 8.7 mg/L 250 mg/L (SS)
Nitrite <0.002 mg/L 1.0 mg/L
Nitrate 0.011 mg/L 10.0 mg/L
Phosphorus as PO4 0.42 mg/L na
Total Phosphate 1.29 mg/L na
Sulfate 11.8 mg/L na
Lead <0.001 mg/L 0.015 mg/L (AL)
Iron <0.01 mg/L 0.30 mg/L (SS)
Manganese <0.01 mg/L 0.05 mg/L (SS); 0.50 mg/L (AL)
Sodium 8.4 mg/L 28.0 mg/L (NL)
Copper 0.01 mg/L 1.30 mg/l (AL)
Zinc 0.02 mg/L 5.0 mg/L (SS)
Calcium 5.3 mg/L 40.0 mg/L (SS)
Magnesium 2.0 mg/L na
Hardness 21.50 mg/L na
Total Coliform Bacteria absent P/A <5% positive/month

SS - Secondary Standard. Aesthetic guideline value where discoloration,sediment,staining or taste/odor may occur
AL - Action Level. Concentration at which additional information is needed to dertermine the source
NL - Notification Level. Concentration at which public notification is required.
na - no standard currently exists

Your municipal water report doesn't necessarily list everything that a brewer wants to know. In fact, mine has *nothing* a brewer wants to know. You can contact them to see if they'll give you the info, or sent a water sample to wardlab.com, which is surprisingly reasonable.

well I don't know promash but you have calcium, magnesium, sulfate, chloride, sodium, and alkalinity. Seems like you have pretty much everything you need. you may want to call and double check that alkalinity is given as CaCO3. If so then you're all set.

Alkalinity CaCo3 or Bicarbonate HCO3 will both get you the numbers you need. Many reports calculate one value or the other. Does Promash allow you to choose Bicarbonate or alkalinity for this part of the water profile?

here is the water report side by side withthe promash water screen

watercalc.jpg

Alkalinity CaCo3 or Bicarbonate HCO3 will both get you the numbers you need. Many reports calculate one value or the other. Does Promash allow you to choose Bicarbonate or alkalinity for this part of the water profile?

i think it is locked as bicarb

if what i found is correct roughly 1:1 dilution will provide me with what in the ball park that pilsen is in. ahhhhhh hoppy golden nectar

If your alkalinity is given as CaCO3 you can convert it to HCO3 by multiplying alkalinity by 1.22.

yes, i confirmed it is in CoCO3, i did the coversion in promash and on paper per "How to brew" they were .03 off because palmer specified 7.0 ph when mine is 7.1 on the report and the software accounts for that.

Back