Water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnoliabrew

Reaction score
As a newbie brewer I am using tap water. It's drinkable and do not detect any heavy mineral favors, but no it's not optimal in balanced minerals etc. I recall reading that if you fill your brew water a day in advance and let it sit, some of the compounds that are in the water may dissipate. Any truth to this?

Chlorine will. A lot of water treatment areas use Chloramine which will not dissipate. You need to use campden tablets to remove it. Try and find a water report for your area, Knowing whats in your water will help you know what to/can do with it.

^^^+1 to that.

You can call your local water department and they should be able to tell you what they use and the ppm at a sample station closest to you. Or you can just leave water out overnight and/or use half a campden tablet. They are so cheap, I say why not.

Also, just because you water tastes fine it doesn't mean it is. If you are brewing extract beers, don't worry about water. If you are brewing all grain, you should get a water report.

I use bottled spring water. It's reasonable for about a dollar a gallon without the added chlorine or fluoride, which concentrates more when boiled. You can google which waters are free of added chemicals.

Appreciate the feedback! Got some campden tablets and will test out batch #1 all grain and see what can be tweaked from there. Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back