Water Profile help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFlynnHead

Reaction score
Curious if our water profile looks like a good option to use for brew water?

Tap water profile:

PH 7.9
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) 551
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.92
Cations/Anions, me/L 7.6/7.6

ppm
Sodium, NA 4
Potassium, K 283
Calcium, CA 2
Magnesium, Mg < 1
Hardness, CaCO3 9
Nitrate< NO3-N < 0.1 Safe
Sulfate, SO4-s 11
Chloride, Cl 45
Carbonate< CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate< HCO3 346
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 284

We're planning on cutting the tap water with RO water and adding Gypsum and Magnesium Sulfate. 25% Tap, 75% RO for lighter beers and the reverse for darker. Based on our tap water profile and Gypsum, Magnesium Sulfate additions, is this a good approach?

The potassium and alkalinity levels are way above what we can work with. I can't imagine how the potassium would get that high unless the supplier is softening with a cation exchange system regenerated with potassium chloride. Dilution with RO is really your only option but you will need so much RO water (9:1 will only get the potassium down to 28) you might as well make it 100% and have no potassium or alkalinity (or any thing else either).

It sure looks like water from a softener loaded with potassium chloride. That is a poor brewing water. I agree with AJ that starting with pure RO would be easiest.

Back