Water profile for a Festbier, Vienna and Dunkel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duelerx

Reaction score
Soon i will brew these styles of beers but first i would like to know your opinion of your favourite water profile for these style beers :D

For Viennas and oktoberfests (I haven't done a dunkel for years) I target 'amber full' to 'amber balanced' from Bru'n water, but with a little bit more calcium. Roughly:
Calcium: 60
Magnesium: 5
Sodium: 15
Sulfate: 80
Chloride: 80
And a mash pH of 5.4 to 5.5.

Calcium: 60
Magnesium: 5
Sodium: 15
Sulfate: 80
Chloride: 80

I recommend cutting the calcium, sulfate, and chloride in half from these values if you are wanting a nice malty beer. You don't want much calcium when brewing lagers. Its unnecessary and can hurt the yeast. I would also target a pH of 5.4 or less in maltier styles like these.

I recommend cutting the calcium, sulfate, and chloride in half from these values if you are wanting a nice malty beer. You don't want much calcium when brewing lagers. Its unnecessary and can hurt the yeast. I would also target a pH of 5.4 or less in maltier styles like these.

For a Festbier do you also recommend a mash pH of 5.4?
I use the supported version of Brun'water and i was considering maybe using Munich Boiled profile for the Dunkel and the Festbier and Vienna Boiled for Vienna.

The boiled versions for the Munich and Vienna water are in the ballpark. However, I caution against getting too literal with them.

AJ and others have found that malty lagers do benefit from having a bit more chloride in the water than shown for the Munich water. On the order of 30 ppm seems good.

Conversely, the Vienna profile MIGHT benefit from a little less sulfate, but its not excessive as-is. That sulfate is one of the drivers in the drying finish that the Vienna style typically has.

Back