Water PH Arrowhead Water - Any corrections needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candyman84

Reaction score
Hi all,

will take the time to write a couple of sentences about me and a proper introduction, but in short, I have been a regular reader of this great forum for quite a bit now and finally, finally signed up.

My setup is BIAB AG and I am using bottled water until I finally have more knowledge about water chemistry to start using the (horribly chloric) tap water of L.A. Read the chapter in Moshers excellent Mastering Homebrew, but this was one of the chapters, I likely have to read again :drunk: Information overload.

As for stouts, I have done a couple of extract w/ specialty grain batches which have turned out so lala that far as they all had a weird, metallic taste to them. My first BIAB AG Stout, a bigger RIS, is still aging and I could not properly taste yet if it had the same taste to it. Early samples, I imagined it had the same taste to it, but cannot say for sure. Now, since I do not have this issue with any of my IPAs or Pale Ales (both the earlier extract w/ specialty as well as the more recent BIAB AG batches), I started to believe that it has something to do with my water profile and that my bottled water may be too soft, driving down the Mash PH. Again, apologies, but I am still trying to get up to speed on water chemistry, so excuses if this may seem like a stupid assumption.

I did find the water report of Arrowhead (attached) and was hoping if someone could give me a general advice on the water as well as specifically on my upcoming Milk Stout. I have attached some screenshots from Beer Smith on the recipe design and water volumes I used. I have already bought a simple PH meter to get started on all this, but quite frankly will not know much what to do with these readings so far :drunk:

THANKS SO MUCH and happy posting :tank:

Arrowhead Water Profile.JPG

Recipe.JPG

Water.JPG

Alright, so I brewed this last Saturday and Ph came in at about 4.9, so as expected a bit soft. Any thoughts?

I just kept going as planned for a lack of knowing what to do with that now ;)

That water report is essentially useless because of the wide ranges given for most constituents. The water could be anywhere from near RO quality to quite hard. Looks like Arrowhead sources water from many different places, and just reported the min and max across all of the sources.

The particular water you are getting appears to be on the soft side, and did not have enough alkalinity to buffer the acid from the dark grains in your last batch.

If you want to control your water composition, you have to have a fairly stable and known source (or do frequent water analyses.)

You should look into using RO water instead of the water you are using.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks. Good to get the reassurance that I really need to get behind water chemistry soon.

Brewed with this water last weekend again (DIPA) and got a 4.8Ph. Either I have to check/calibrate the Ph meter or this water really is not the source I should be using.

If I wanted to use L.A. Westside tap water, what do I need to do to drive off the chlorine? Just boiling? Knowing my Arrowhead water is really no good for brewing and I even wasted money on it, I might as well use tap water as long as I get the chlorine out of it. Might be just as off but at least "free".

Thanks. Good to get the reassurance that I really need to get behind water chemistry soon.

Brewed with this water last weekend again (DIPA) and got a 4.8Ph. Either I have to check/calibrate the Ph meter or this water really is not the source I should be using.

If I wanted to use L.A. Westside tap water, what do I need to do to drive off the chlorine? Just boiling? Knowing my Arrowhead water is really no good for brewing and I even wasted money on it, I might as well use tap water as long as I get the chlorine out of it. Might be just as off but at least "free".

1/2 a crushed campden tablet (potassium meta-bisulfite) per 10 gal of water will instantly get rid of chlorine and chloramine in water. Boiling will drive off chlorine, but not chloramine. Campden is cheap, effective insurance against chlorine issues in water.

Find more info on campden (from one of our local water gurus) here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=361073
Brew on :mug:

Back