water loss calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomguy

Reaction score
So I was really wanting to try an all grain batch of beer and thought I would venture down the 1 gallon path since I had a few 160 ounce glass jugs kicking about. Next with the help of Hopville I came up with a recipe that made sence, at least to me, http://hopville.com/recipe/1671223, this was also going to be a biab style brew since there isn't a huge grain bill.
I thought I had the right numbers inputted but when I started and went with the recommended 4.6 liters of pre boil water.... wow did I end up short! I did hit my target og of 1055 but maybe had 2.8 to 3 liters of volume left. Frustrated I topped it off with another liter to fill up the jug pitched the yeast and called it quits at 1038.
Thats the back story, I have done some research, hand calculations and came up with 7.58 liters for pre boil.
4 liters final volume
3.14 liters loss / 60 minutes boil or 53 milliliters per minute 45minute boil= 2.4 liters
1 liter loss per kilogram of grain = .973 liters
Trub .36 liters / 28 grams of hops = .16 liter
Wort cooling 4% loss
If someone could either double check my numbers or point out what I may be missing or don't need that would be very helpful.
I may be way off track and completely over thinking the problem but I would like to get a slightly more accurate result next time.
Thanks in advance
Chris

Back