Water it down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
I made an Amber Honey ale today, I had found an 11 gallon recipe online and cut it all in half, but either I got way better efficiency than I expected or my math was off.
I did 7.5 lb of 2-row, 3 lbs honey malt, 0.5 lbs crystal-60. I added some burtons salts to the RO water, and 1/2 tsp amalyze. Mash was 4.2 gallon, sparge 3.6 gallon. I also got my first ever stuck sparge, which sucked.

I ended up with 19.5 L, so just over 5 gallons, at 1.063. Recipe expected 1.055
That's probably going to end up 6.7-7%, and recipe was aiming for 5.75%.
I'm using nottingham dry yeast.

Would you leave as is? or add some RO water to bring it down a bit? Normally I'm happy to have a stronger beer, but not sure it will go as well with an amber like this.

Recipe I halved: Amber/Honey Ale - All Grain American Amber Ale Homebrew Beer Recipe - Brewer's Friend

I'd leave it alone, but that's just me.

If you do want to mess with it, I think you need to boil the added water first to de-aerate and sanitize prior to adding to the beer. You're bittering and aroma will get toned down too.

Perhaps prep the water like i mentioned above and then carbonate it in a keg to the same solution as your finished beer and then do your blending afterwards on a smaller scale before you go at the entire batch?

You're 8 pts high. I would not dilute. If you were like 20 pts high, sure, I'd dilute. But 8, I'd leave it alone. You'd have to add .75gallons and to @apache_brew point, you'll throw off your IBU's and what not. I'd personally leave it as it will probably still be great.

Back