water it down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thataintchicken

Reaction score
so I just taste tested my sweet mead against a commercial sweet mead.

IMHO, I kicked it's ass.

But in retrospect, I am wondering if it is too strong and too sweet and needs to be diluted a bit to be 'proper'.

I think I will keep it as is and call it 'heroic'.

thoughts?

I say keep it the way it is! Maybe add a litttle age to round off the harsh edges if any. If you're still uncertain, send me a bottle for "testing". I've always followed the policy that if I really wanted a brew watered down I'd just buy Budweiser. But I don't buy that crap, and you don't either, thats why you're here in this brewing forum. Leave it the way it is. :mug:

I say keep that heroic, ass-kicking mead as is & let it age, it'll be soooooo much better in a year. Regards, GF.

I'd say that's the beauty of homebrewing, or fermenting in this case. If it tastes great to you, than it is already "proper" for your house. If you want to try to imitate a commercial drink later on that's fine, but for now, drink what you like!!

the plan was to keg half of this batch for the Homebrewers Convention in June.
The other half would be bottled and hidden in the back of one of the closets until Z day.... or when I move back to Portland.

Whichever comes sooner.
I think Z day had the better odds at this point.

I say keep it the way it is! Maybe add a litttle age to round off the harsh edges if any. Leave it the way it is. :mug:

There are no harsh edges. This batch is awesome, one of my best.
I have never tasted anything like it from a commercial meadery.

I am going to save a few bottles to use as samples should I get the chance to finance a Meadery. Gotta Plan ahead. :D

all my meads kick my ass, even the 13% ABV.

I wouldn't change anything. Or, water it down/cut it with something when serving it.

add a little club soda for a mead spritzer :)

Back