Water help all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazybrew04

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance I am no expert at all grain or technical terms only been doing it for about 2 months. I would like to know the importance of water amount when mashing. To explain for example I add 1.25 qt/lb of water equalize temp to about 154 for about 60 minutes drain water. Then I add 2.29 qt/lb of water get temp to 168 for 10 min. My question is would I get higher eff. if I add more water per lb at first at 154 deg. or more water at 168 deg. Please dumb it down for I am a simple man :) Thanks

The more important question is what efficiency are you getting now? If you are having problems, IMO the crush and your sparging technique will effect efficiency more than the water to grist ratio, and would be the first place I would start to troubleshoot.

My eff ranges from 65-72 trial and error i think im averaging about 70 I have made about 5 batches so far. I left my barley crusher on the default setting dont know what that is just watched a youtube video and thats what the guy did:) what chrush should i be looking for. Still curious about the water to grain ration importance.

From what I've read, the water grain ratio is only "important" for the mash itself (the part where you rest for 60 min in the 150-156 range). It generally should between 1.25 and 2.0. This is so that you get proper enzyme activity while also dissolving enough of the sugars. As long as you are in that range, I don't think you'll see much of a difference in efficiency.

For batch sparging, I believe the rule of thumb is that you want the first and second runnings to be approximately the same volume. That typically means that you'll have a bit more strike water than sparge water, to make up for the amount of water absorbed by the grain or that gets left in the mash tun if you have dead space. (Alternatively, if that much strike water would mean too high of a water/grain ratio, you can add the extra water right before you mash out).

General tips I've picked up:

-Double check your volumes. Make sure you're ending up with as much wort as you think you are. I carefully measured this last time and was nearly a half gallon shy of what I thought it should be.
-Pre-heat the mash tun, it makes hitting temp a lot easier.
-Be sure to break up any dough balls when you add your grain and water. Dry grain doesn't convert.
-(For batch sparging) Give the mash a good stir after you add the sparge water, to make sure the sugars get dissolved. Let it settle for a few minutes before you drain.

From what I've read, the water grain ratio is only "important" for the mash itself (the part where you rest for 60 min in the 150-156 range). General tips I've picked up:

-Double check your volumes. Make sure you're ending up with as much wort as you think you are. I carefully measured this last time and was nearly a half gallon shy of what I thought it should be.

new brew today made sure volume was right 74% eff. best yet. thanks again

Back