Water considerations for BIAB first-timer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellosluggo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be doing a middle-of-the road IPA as my first BIAB batch. Trying to decide if I should start with RO or DI water and build it from there, or use my tap water and adjust. Our most recent water report is over here: http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Water/WaterQualityReports2015/WQS_1q2015.pdf

Anyone have opinions either way as to what will be the easiest method for a first timer?

Based on your suggestion, what additions would I need to make and what calculator works best for you?

Have a read of the sticky from the brew science forum:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460

I assume you have a water source from one of the tap columns - hopefully not one of the raw columns because they have high alkalinity.

If you have the luxury of RO water use that and follow the sticky. You guys in America get cheap RO which I can't.

I'm in DFW and our water is decent.

As long as your tap water is not too hard and/or high in any specific minerals I think you should be fine. Nothing leaps out at me from the report your showed but I am far from an expert. Others more adept may spot something.

I use tap water. I pass it through a carbon filter and use Campden tablets to remove chloramine. The chloramine removal is a good first step as it will negatively impact the beer's flavor. Simple to remove.

Your mineral levels are similar to the city reports I had. Yours is a little harder.
My subsequent ward labs report showed more useful and truer numbers for my tap in my house. Pretty decent water. Lots of breweries in DFW and Austin. Gotta be a reason. Can't imagine they are using RO water.

I am beginning to look at using RO water simply for the added control. I can build a water profile to exact specs and requirements.

I think a more important issue for us BIABers is mash pH. I do full volume mashing and the pH of the mash in lighter grain bills is unacceptably high without taking corrective measures. The same issue would apply if using RO water.

I have a decent pH meter which fits all the acceptance criteria listed in the Brew Science sub forum. if you use Bru'n water correctly it is an extremely accurate predictive tool. Following it without measuring actual pH is of course working blind but in my experience it is very accurate.

A mash calculation Screen Shot 2015-07-13 at 7.44.45 PM.png

My pH meter
DSC02421.jpg

Edit: I second the idea to read all the stickies in the brew science forum. You will learn a lot. It's not that hard to get the basics down pat with a little homework. Some of the stickies get a little heavy but 99% of the good info is in the first few posts of each.

your water looks just fine for brewing. Once you get your method down with the new system, worry about the water then.
I did the whole water as per place of origin thing for quite a few years and now no longer worry about it. To each their own

Back