Water Chemistry Report and activated carbon filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLMtheReal

Reaction score
Hello guys, I just got into water chemistry, got my water report from my water provider. I also use a 5 μm activated carbon filter for chlorine removal. In a recent BBQ meetup to my LHBS we were chatting with some folks and they mentioned that the carbon filter changes the water chemistry a bit (raises the pH and whatnot). Have you guys ever heard of such thing? If yes, did you check the differences, and, are they major enough to mess with your calculations based on your water report? The thing is, I don't see how this could happen, since only the chlorine is filtered. Any thoughts? Cheers :)

Some of the chemicals used to enhance and activate the carbon can raise pH a bit, but that will go away as the filter is used. Those filters can also through a bit of other ions like potassium and sodium, but they'll rinse out too.

Otherwise, an activated carbon filter will not appreciably alter the treated water chemistry.

A crushed 1/4 Campden tablet or a good pinch of K-Meta per 20 liters of brewing water is so much faster in removing chlorine (and chloramines), and 100% effective. Cheap too.

Now your charcoal filter may remove other impurities, but it has to run through slowly, like 1 liter per minute, or less.

The LoDO guys may be sent into fits of derision over this, but K-Meta will beneficially complex some quantity of the dissolved oxygen in your water also.

Sadly there are no campden tablets here in Greece, no homebrew shop brings any :( I don't mind running the water slowly, I can start doing it 30 minutes before my session. This is good news, I'm using bru'n water so I'm leaving my data intact! Thank you guys and thank you Martin for your awesome program!

Of course it's available. It's Sodium (Na) or Potassium (K) Metabisulfite. Wine makers use K-Meta, causing the sulfites in your wine.

Back