Water Chemistry Help... aka am i screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnmason01

Reaction score
I just had a whole home water filtration system/softener installed and got my water profile back from Ward Lab. Most ion contents are almost not present, so those are easy. However, I am concerned with the sodium level and how it is higher than most styles tolerate.

Here is my report:

pH 9.3
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 317
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.53
Cations / Anions, me/L 5.3 / 5.2

ppm
Sodium, Na 120
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca 1
Magnesium, Mg < 1
Total Hardness, CaCO3 3
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.2 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 17
Chloride, Cl 44
Carbonate, CO3 15.1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 144
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 140
Total Phosphorus, P 1.45
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

What can I do? Do I need to blend with RO water to help with the ion concentration?

Your water softener is removing calcium and magnesium (the components that contribute to hardness) and replacing them with sodium. That is its job, and it is doing it. The unsoftened water at your source (pre the softener) would be a way better bet for brewing (since calcium is highly desired in the mash, and magnesium is generally low and tolerated), but either way, your alkalinity (not impacted by water softening) is on the high side and will need to be knocked down via strike (primarily for lighter colored to medium colored beers) and sparge water (for all beers) acidification.

If I was you, I would try brewing a batch or two straight up with your pre-softener water (plus a touch of acidification) and see how it turns out.

Definitely plan on using lactic acid to adjust the PH to get my mash to 5.3.

Is the amount of sodium going to mess me up? I know it is doing it's job, but the amount is a tad high. I can mock up blending with RO water in BrauKaiser or EZ water and it helps. But, am I being too paranoid about the sodium concentration?

Definitely plan on using lactic acid to adjust the PH to get my mash to 5.3.

Is the amount of sodium going to mess me up? I know it is doing it's job, but the amount is a tad high. I can mock up blending with RO water in BrauKaiser or EZ water and it helps. But, am I being too paranoid about the sodium concentration?

@Silver_Is_Money had it right. Don't use the water out of your water softener. Get the hard water from in front of the softener and use that. Sent the unsoftened water to Ward labs for analysis and figure out from there.

@Silver_Is_Money had it right. Don't use the water out of your water softener. Get the hard water from in front of the softener and use that. Sent the unsoftened water to Ward labs for analysis and figure out from there.

Unfortunately, that is not an option for me.

If it is getting a Ward Lab analysis of the pre softener water that is not an option, I would roll the dice and brew with the unsoftened water at least once.

It is using the unsoftened water that is not an option.
The options i have are to use the softened water, or use RO water, or mix the 2.

Best bet is RO and mineralization. That solves the alkalinity problem, and the sodium problem.

It is using the unsoftened water that is not an option.
The options i have are to use the softened water, or use RO water, or mix the 2.

Surely your house main water line has a shutoff before your softener where it enters the house? Just shut it off and install a 'pre-softner' spigot for your brewing water, pretty easy job if you are comfortable plumbing. if not it should only take a plumber 20-30 minutes and shouldn't be too costly.

Back