Water Chemistry - Bitterness - Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbeck2

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a couple of years now, all-grain for about a year. I used to buy bottled water, but recently added a .5 micron carbon filter set up to my rig so I can use tap water. I live in Austin, TX and the here's the water profile according to the city:

Ca - 12 ppm
Mg 15 ppm
Na - 20.9 ppm
SO4 - 31 ppm
Cl - 42 ppm

I've noticed a back of throat bitterness to a lot of my beers lately that I don't know the cause of. It is like the beer taste great and balanced at first and then comes the hit of bitterness in the throat. Odd thing is that I made a sweet stout that I don't detect the bitterness in at all. Not sure if this could have something to do with the presence of darker / roasted malts.

I don't do anything to treat the water and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this bitterness might have to do with the local water profile, and if so what I might add to the water to adjust it appropriately.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
David

Latest posts

Back