Water chem for neipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmyers04

Reaction score
I am going to brew a NEIPA BIAB. I am going to follow a recipe I found. Since it is BIAB with no sparge I can't quite figure out what I should do. I will be using reverse osmosis water as well. Here is what the recipe calls for:
Mash Water:
CaCl2 (Calcium Chloride) - 3 grams
CaSO4 (Gypsum) - 2 grams
Campden Tablet - 1/4th of a tablet
Lactic Acid - 5 ml (for Mash pH ~5.3)

Sparge Water:
CaCl2 (Calcium Chloride) - 2 grams
CaSO4 (Gypsum) - 2 grams
Campden Tablet - 1/4th of a tablet
Lactic Acid - 1 ml
I assume they are using tap water and changing it with this profile. Can anyone help on what we should add to a single infusion BIAB? I read somewhere that I might only need CaCl2 and CaSO4 when using RO water....is this true?

Check out the summer issue of Zymurgy. Martin did a nice write up for neipa water treatment.

I usually push my CACL 200-300 and keep the gypsum as low as long as I have my calcium around 100. I also shoot for ph of 5.25

It's hard to know in a vacuum. Looking at those numbers, I'm guessing the recipe is starting with RO water. I find that my NEIPA mineral additions to RO don't change much even with tweaks of the grain bill.

I use Bru'Nwater for my calculations. I shoot for about 150ppm chloride and 75ppm sulfate. I don't use acid to manage pH, I use acidulated malt and usually need about 2 ozs for a 5 gallon batch.

As far as no sparge vs those numbers which include a sparge, my guess is that mineral additions would be cumulative. Not sure about the acid, but I don't do anything to my sparge water with respect to pH when I batch sparge.

I usually target a 5.3 PH using acid malt. Takes 4-6 oz depending on the grainbill. I also target a 150ppm chloride and 75-100ppm sulfate. My last batch took 4 g sulfate and 7 g CaCl. in the 8 gal of strike water. Add your salts when the water is cold. One mixes easier cold and the other warm.

I was looking at another recipe for a 5 gal NEIPA and it just says if you are starting with RO water to just add 1 tsp Calcium Chloride and .50 tsp of Gypsum. Does this sound about right? I have never messed with the PH either. So I am not sure what to do about that.

For a 5.5 gallon batch NEIPA (5.8G strike, 3.5G sparge), I did this (assuming a fairly typical grain bill, this would get you as close as anything:

2 oz Acidulated malt for pH
2.6 gms gypsum in strike water
4.9 gms calcium chloride in strike water
1.6 gms gypsum in sparge water
3.0 gms calcium chloride sparge water

This yields the following for my grain bill:

ph 5.3
Ca 109 ppm
SO4 68 ppm
Cl 143 ppm

I set this up using RO water and Bru'Nwater to calculate the pH and mineral additions.

For a 5.5 gallon batch NEIPA (5.8G strike, 3.5G sparge), I did this (assuming a fairly typical grain bill, this would get you as close as anything:

2 oz Acidulated malt for pH
2.6 gms gypsum in strike water
4.9 gms calcium chloride in strike water
1.6 gms gypsum in sparge water
3.0 gms calcium chloride sparge water

This yields the following for my grain bill:

ph 5.3
Ca 109 ppm
SO4 68 ppm
Cl 143 ppm

I set this up using RO water and Bru'Nwater to calculate the pH and mineral additions.

It is a single infusion BIAB. So NO sparge. Would I just add 4.2 g of gypsum and 7.9 g of Calcium chloride to my RO water before mash?

My recipe calls for 9.3 gallons of water total. I'm not sure what a typical strike water volume would be for you, but if it's less than 9.3 gallons, reduce the additions by the same ratio to get the same ppm. For example:

You're using 7.5 gallons.

(7.5/9.3) * 4.2 = 3.39 gms gypsum.

Latest posts

Back