Water adjustments for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I'm about to do my first non-extract brew, a BIAB clone kit (Garage Project Pernicious Weed) from a brew shop. The water report is as follows:

pH 7.8
Sulphate 5.0 g/m³
Chloride 5.0 g/m³
Calcium 12.0 g/m³
Sodium 6.1 g/m³
Total hardness (as CaCO3) 45 g/m³

The full report is here https://ccc.govt.nz/services/water-...y-and-monitoring/water-quality-and-monitoring

I have some calcium sulphate but my pH tester hasn't arrived yet so it's a bit of a guessing game for now as to how much I should add. I just want a "balanced" general purpose water profile, I'm not aiming to build my water exactly.

How much calcium sulphate do I need to add for around 30L of water (strike water + sparge water + any additional water required to top up fermenter)?

That is a fairly lightly mineralized water. g/m3 is the same as mg/L or ppm. If you're wanting simple, I recommend that you consider that water to be close to RO quality and use the recommendations of the Water Primer that AJ DeLange posted on the Brewing Science section of this site.

Back