Water adjustment help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offcentered

Reaction score
Hi ,

I finally had my water tested by Ward labs and was working on the water profile for a NEIPA. I got the profile from recipe I found on line at another site. I plugged the info into BeerSmith but seemed like an awful lot of salts to add. Does this seem correct ?

My water profile is CA-6, Mg -5, NA-37, SO4 -0, Cl-55, HCO3-15

My target is CA-100, Mg -21, NA-37, SO4 -100, Cl-200, HCO3-15

Beer smith is recommending for 19 gallons of water :
Gypsum 4.2g
+32 SO4

Epsom Salt 12.4g
+17 Mg and +67.5 SO4

Calcium Chloride 21.4g
+81.2 Ca and +143.7 Cl

Thanks

Are you sure you want 200 ppm of Cl, and 100 ppm of SO4? I get having a higher chloride amount in NE IPA, but 200 ppm is really a lot, and combining that with so much sulfate may give you a much more minerally profile than you want. I'd definitely drop the S04 if you wanted to go with a high chloride, but I'd probably max the chloride at about 150 ppm also.

Are you sure you want 200 ppm of Cl, and 100 ppm of SO4? I get having a higher chloride amount in NE IPA, but 200 ppm is really a lot, and combining that with so much sulfate may give you a much more minerally profile than you want. I'd definitely drop the S04 if you wanted to go with a high chloride, but I'd probably max the chloride at about 150 ppm also.

Im not sure. I really didn't mess with my water much before other than the PH. I got the profile the the electric brewery site so I figured it to be reliable...
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment?page=3
Hoppy NEIPA
Profile: Ca=100, Mg=18, Na=16, Cl=200, SO4=100
Description: Increased Cl with restrained SO4 which helps accentuate flavour over bitterness/dryness. The hop bitterness is smoother, less sharp, less dry than our 'Hoppy' profile. Helps support a silky smooth and rich mouthfeel. For hoppy New England style ales.

You'll likely get a range of opinions but I'm with Yooper. You can always experiment to find your tastes but I'd start lower. I've found my sweet spot for NEIPA's to be about 95 Ca, 115 Cl, 65 SO4. I don't bother ever adding epsom/Mg.

If you really insist on using magnesium sulfate for water treatment, split it 50/50 with the gypsum addition. Malt supplies plenty of magnesium as an elemental nutrient so there's no real need to add much ... magnesium also contributes to mineral hardness in the water, so be aware of that, too.

I'd recommend 1:1 to start. I've found 1.5 ca to 1 so4 to be the right spot for me but I started even on both and played each batch.

Latest posts

Back