Watch City Brewing in Waltham, MA fills your corny kegs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrankyOldLibrarian

Reaction score
I don't know how many other small breweries do this, but a friend told me that Watch City in Waltham, MA fills corny kegs. You drop it off, give them a list of a few of the beers that you would want, and the brewer will fill it when he is in. They never know his schedule, so your keg might be there for a few days before it gets filled.

I dropped one of mine off last week. With my luck, it was the day that they were kegging their Moody Street Stout, a beer that they haven't made in over a year. For a total of $55, I was very happy.

It's a great stout!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/211/3929

Anyone know of any other breweries that fill corny kegs?

I don't know how many other small breweries do this, but a friend told me that Watch City in Waltham, MA fills corny kegs. You drop it off, give them a list of a few of the beers that you would want, and the brewer will fill it when he is in. They never know his schedule, so your keg might be there for a few days before it gets filled.

I dropped one of mine off last week. With my luck, it was the day that they were kegging their Moody Street Stout, a beer that they haven't made in over a year. For a total of $55, I was very happy.

It's a great stout!

I've run across several, even more that will sell you a corny (their keg) even more that will sell you a sixth barrel (and a sankey tap isn't a horrible one time expense).

I have a sankey tap and have picked up kegs at a few places, but there is something that I really like about just dropping off my corny, getting it filled, not having to leave a deposit, not having to return it ...

I haven't been there in years...but it was great when I was there. Too far for me to make two trips. I'm surprised they are allowed to do this in MA with their liquor laws.

It's a great stout!

What's the surprise about? I think the majority of local breweries sell their beers in your own keg... just a matter of calling in adavance to let them plan for it.

The Northeast tends to be a little uptight about anything to do with alcohol, but it does seems to be getting better as the years go by. Some places around here won't

What's the surprise about? I think the majority of local breweries sell their beers in your own keg... just a matter of calling in adavance to let them plan for it.

Yeah, as stevo155 said, things are definitely more uptight here, and this is the first that I've heard of a brewery filling corny kegs so I wanted to share (in case anyone cared).

Also, if you are around MA, Watch City's beers have gotten much better over the last few years. When I first tried them years ago, I wasn't a fan, but at the last brewfest I went to, I was really impressed with their brews.

I wish they would do that around here. Can't even get a growler filled. Stupid 3 tier distribution laws are to blame, I suppose.

Yep, Watch City still fills corny kegs. Just make sure that you label your corny with your name, phone number, & list a few of their beers that you want since they can't always fill your keg with your top choice.

It usually takes them about 5 days to a week to fill it. if I don't hear anything from them, I just show up in the afternoon to see if it is ready. It usually it is... I've had to go back a few times, but since it's on my way home from work, I don't mind.

Yep, Watch City still fills corny kegs. Just make sure that you label your corny with your name, phone number, & list a few of their beers that you want since they can't always fill your keg with your top choice.

It usually takes them about 5 days to a week to fill it. if I don't hear anything from them, I just show up in the afternoon to see if it is ready. It usually it is... I've had to go back a few times, but since it's on my way home from work, I don't mind.

Awesome. Know anyone else in the area that does this? Going to want to put a few on tap before my first kegged beers are ready for the new keezer Im building.

Approx how much do they charge?

Every time I went, the prices were a bit different, but it always was between $45 & $55.

I don't know of any other brew pubs around here that fills a corny, but if you get a sanke tap, you can easily put a regular keg on your system. Gordon's (on Main St. in Waltham) often has some decent stuff in stock. I sometimes get a Brooklyn or a BBC from them and it is about the same price as Watch City.

Back