Washington DC Driving advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior

Reaction score
Hi ya all, I am driving from NJ to FL on 7/19 or 7/20/13, I have heard that Washington DC traffic is a nightmare. I google maps recommends Using 895-295-95 though DC. I then looked on Mapquest and it recommended using I-495 W/Capital Beltway/I-495 OUTERLOOP- 95. Anyone out there have first hand knowledge of the DC area? I also was told that during the summer I will hit beach traffic in most of VA, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stay clear of DC is my advice. I enjoy rush hour traffic on 270 every day :mad: When I drove to SC with my family I took some back roads through WV almost completely avoiding interstates... Can't remember which though.

junior, it really depends on the day/time as to whether you'd want to go around DC (495 aka Beltway) or through DC (295). If you are headed down on 7/19, a Friday, and its rush hour (~ 6am-9am) (~ 3pm-7pm) I would avoid the 495 Beltway like the plague and use 295. Otherwise, I'd recommend 495 and go around the city.

junior, it really depends on the day/time as to whether you'd want to go around DC (495 aka Beltway) or through DC (295). If you are headed down on 7/19, a Friday, and its rush hour (~ 6am-9am) (~ 3pm-7pm) I would avoid the 495 Beltway like the plague and use 295. Otherwise, I'd recommend 495 and go around the city.

Hokie, thank's for the reply, with no traffic which route is the best choice? 495,295,95/495? I will be arriving in the area between 1-2pm Friday, I was thinking of playing it safe and leaving on Saturday, but I would lose one day with my rental. Once again thank's for the help.

With no traffic (for example Friday mid-day, like hitting the DC area between 10 and 2) you're better off on the Beltway (495). On a Friday, it starts to get lousy around 3 o'clock.

I wouldn't bother waiting until Saturday if you can get through there midday Friday (or late Friday, like after 7:30). I have hit ridiculously annoying traffic on Saturdays as well, so it's a shame to waste a day.

With no traffic (for example Friday mid-day, like hitting the DC area between 10 and 2) you're better off on the Beltway (495). On a Friday, it starts to get lousy around 3 o'clock.

I wouldn't bother waiting until Saturday if you can get through there midday Friday (or late Friday, like after 7:30). I have hit ridiculously annoying traffic on Saturdays as well, so it's a shame to waste a day.

yep, ditto that. Friday mid-day, take 495 to 95, then set your cruise for the next 700 miles.

dcHokie said:

I agree with this. And def do not wait until Saturday. I've hit worse traffic on Saturdays before. Go today!

I've driven in downtown Chicago middle of the day and it was NO WHERE NEAR AS BAD AS DC!! We drove a pickup pulling an empty car trailer AROUND DC on the expressway and it was a nightmare. The return trip we avoided that whole mess altogether and it was a dream. Even without the trailer it would have been a crazy drive.

Cap'n, Thank's for the advice, when you suggest using Beltway 495, is that the east or western Beltway?

believe it or not, Saturday is just as bad as any other day of the week. no carpoolers.

Beltway 495 means Western or Outer Loop.

If you have EZPass, there are some HOT Lanes (High Occupancy TOLL Lanes) that will semi-express you from VD/MD line to I95 South at Springfield. maybe $1.35, depending on traffic.

if you want a nice, relaxing drive and don't mind a little extra time, avoid the Beltway altogether and take I78W out of NJ into PA. I81 S to I83 S through Harrisonburg. 581 S to 15 S, through Hershey and Gettysburg, through Frederick, MD (Flying Dog!) through Leesburg, VA (wave to me, I'm about 10 miles to your east at this point)

at Warrenton, VA it gets a little tricky, you're onto a combination of 15/29/17, ending up on 17 and hitting I95 just north of Fredericksburg.

maybe ONE extra hour out of the way, have to deal with a few traffic lights, but it's a beautiful drive and you bypass most of the a-holes on the Turnpike & Beltway

plus, the ONLY toll you pay is 75¢ to get out of NJ, compared to $10 on the Turnpike, crossing the Delaware and Baltimore's Harbor Tunnel

95 merges into 495. Coming from the north if your going through Baltimore, 95 will put you on 495 around College Park, Maryland. At that point it's either go around over the Woodrow Wilson bridge or go around the top side of 495 to get back onto 95 S. Once you get back on 95 S. parts of Northern VA can be a pain also. Another tip is to avoid going 95 through Richmond, VA. go around that too.

Also be aware that I-95 South (Springfield - Richmond) can be a parking lot on Saturday mornings due to beach traffic.

I recommend leaving earlier to pass around DC before daylight.

Still might hit traffic if there is night road construction.

think they're done with construction, at least on the Beltway between Cabin John Bridge & Springfield junction

I liked 295 but 1 accident will screw you...495 east loop is probably your safest bet, just try to time it around rush hour. Also check traffic when you get close and adjust accordingly.

I worked in the ba wa area for 2 years on the road, it's a crap shoot if you have to from one side of dc to the other...

Agreed with the others about how much fun it is. Rush hour (hour? hah! hours is more like it.) tends to start as early as noon so the sooner on a friday the better. Though on the plus side you may get lucky and be travelling on a friday that the govvies are taking their alternate friday off. Beltway, aka 495 is most likely your best bet, and if you are coming from 895/295 you want to head on the inner loop, or 495 south and pay attention where it meets 95. That 'mixing bowl' is confusing as can be, even with people who live here. Be prepared for backups, and everything from driving into the sun to an accident, to the threat of some sort of moisture in the air will encourage people to forget how to drive. Additionally prepare to get held up a little around Quantico(95), there is always traffic there.

Other things to remember, In VA, the police tend to allow a 5-10 mph speed padding, and for some really weird reason the left lane is NOT the fast lane, stick with the middle lanes. MD has its own driving idiosyncrasies, for fear of starting the whole VA/MD who is a worse driver debate (there is much animosity there, trust me) I will let them give you any pointers.

Once again, Saturdays are not necessarily better than Fridays, oftentimes worse, and the earlier in the day you can head through the whole gauntlet of the beltwat (495) the better. Safe travels.

also remember, talking on a cellphone without a hands-free device is ILLEGAL in Maryland

not that I've ever seen any enforcement

Thank's for all the valuable suggestions, I have decided to leave Jersey between 9-10pm and arrive in Washington area via 295(most direct route) around 1-2am. I would think at that time I should be missing beach and other traffic heading south through VA.

Thank's for all the valuable suggestions, I have decided to leave Jersey between 9-10pm and arrive in Washington area via 295(most direct route) around 1-2am. I would think at that time I should be missing beach and other traffic heading south through VA.

been years since I've done it, and not sure it's still applicable, but 1-2am used to be the "bars are closed in VA, but liquor stores are still open in MD" drive time

WAMU (DC's local NPR station) has reliable traffic updates every hour 88.5.

Good luck with the drive, I'm sure it won't be that bad.

That's what I've always done in the past and it's smooth sailing at those hours. Even if you run slightly late, getting past DC by 5-6am is good advice.

Leave early as stated and get past DC before 7am. That leaves time for a nice nap when you arrive! After DC you will be ok. Remember the advice on the way home as well. Time your trip to pass thru DC early or you will get the homeward bound beach traffic which I think is worse.

Additionally. The NC/VA border on 95N is also always backed up when its daylight out. Hence why when I go to NC for a beach trip I either leave here at 4 or 5 am to go there and leave the night before checkout to overnight drive home. Night driving is so much more relaxing and less stressful and you have less idiots out.

Back