washed yeast starter has soapy hint...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjcoyne

Reaction score
I made a starter of Wyeast 1272 (Am ale II) from some yeast I had washed about 6 weeks ago and after popping it in the fridge overnight and tasting the beer from the starter, there was a mild soapy taste. The unfortunate thing is I have already started the mash...

The starter was with 4 qt water and 1 cup light DME. I let it go for 48 hours at 62 and then it made its way into the fridge.
Should I just toss the starter and pitch a pack of Nottingham? What could be causing the soapy taste? I know autolysis is a huge contributing factor but is there anything else?

did you wash your starter container out enough? the only other posable cause is leaving the starter on the yeast to long. but 48 hours is no where near to long. autolysis takes a very long time and is not much of an issue for ales.

just pitch one yeast don't pitch the Nottingham.

I washed and sanitized the container as usual (I make starters for all of my brews, about 35 to date).

Even after reading the recent 'Sour Smelling Starter' thread I decided to toss the washed yeast and use the Nottingham. The worst thing I could imagine is 5 gallons of soapy beer and all of that wasted time making the wort...

I washed and sanitized the container as usual (I make starters for all of my brews, about 35 to date).

Even after reading the recent 'Sour Smelling Starter' thread I decided to toss the washed yeast and use the Nottingham. The worst thing I could imagine is 5 gallons of soapy beer and all of that wasted time making the wort...

I agree with your decision and reasoning.

Latest posts

Back