Wasabi beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gildog

Reaction score
ok, i havent read alot of beer posts, but as i sit here munching wasabi peas and drinking my most recent brew, a pilsner lager:mug:, i wonder why not try a wasabi beer. i know that people have made chilli peper beer. do you think wasabi will work and if so, how much to use?

You, sir, are insane... but I support you in your endeavor. I have no recommendations other than to say go for it and let us know how it comes out!

i must say, i love my wasabi. im thinking just mix up a little dme with some water till i get the right starting gravity then slowly add wasabi paste till i get the right burn. sound like a good start?

Interesting idea. Sweetness can balance out heat, so perhaps consider trying a heavier beer to go with this concept. I dunno if I'd say go Belgian, but perhaps in that direction.

ive been thinking of doing a 5 grain high gravity ale. ive already got a recipe, i think ill try that with the wasabi. thanks for the help

Looks like someone beat you to it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/wasabi-ipa-question-21002/

I use chili powder and cayenne pepper in my chocolate mole' porter, so why not.

Sounds like the wasabi didn't work out, but I love the idea of a molé porter. I may have to try that sometime. I wonder if there is any way to get the wasabi to last until drinking time. Perhaps you could add it right before kegging. That seems fairly crude though. You may as well just add a dash to the bottom of your beer glass at that point.

apparently somebody was doing it right

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/761/20131

they have a supposedly good wasabi pale ale, my guess is that the hops is affecting the flavor of the wasabi in the hightly hopped ipa. i think im going to just drop a 1/4 cup of wasabi paste in a 2.5 gallon batch of a low hop cream ale at end of boil.

How did this end up turning out? I am about to attempt a wasabi ginger dry rice beer?

Yes please tell me how all of these beers turned out. I'm looking to do a pale/IPA with wasabi and ginger and I'm interested in dosing amounts. Since both are such volatile aromas, I'm planning to use them in the priming keg before transferring to serving keg.

Back