Was I supposed to use a hops bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimster

Reaction score
So I brewed a Northern Brewer American Wheat Kit this past Sunday

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/american-wheat-beer-extract-kit-2.html

And I pretty much tried to follow the instructions step by step and it never mentioned taking out the hops after the boil?

I just let out a test sample (I ferment in bottling buckets) and it had a lotta little green hops floating around in it. And that brought up a question, was I supposed to bag the hops and remove after boiling? Is that such a "duh" thing it's not even in the instructions or will those suckers sink to the bottom as it does its thing?

So I brewed a Northern Brewer American Wheat Kit this past Sunday

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/american-wheat-beer-extract-kit-2.html

And I pretty much tried to follow the instructions step by step and it never mentioned taking out the hops after the boil?

I just let out a test sample (I ferment in bottling buckets) and it had a lotta little green hops floating around in it. And that brought up a question, was I supposed to bag the hops and remove after boiling? Is that such a "duh" thing it's not even in the instructions or will those suckers sink to the bottom as it does its thing?

those suckers will sink to the bottom.i never use a bag straight into the wort they go!

They will all fall to the bottom, I have now bottled a couple batches that I put "free floating" hops in, and they all settled out.

I asked the same question. They will sink. Also, its a bad idea to put them in a bag because they will not get broken up in the boil. You can strain the wort as you add to the fermenter if you feel (some people do). But if you leave them your beer will just be more hoppy I guesse.

hope that helped.

I asked the same question. They will sink. Also, its a bad idea to put them in a bag because they will not get broken up in the boil. You can strain the wort as you add to the fermenter if you feel (some people do). But if you leave them your beer will just be more hoppy I guesse.

hope that helped.

No when you rack the chilled wort to the fermenter try to leave all the
trub on the bottom of the pot hops will settle out,then dispose

No when you rack the chilled wort to the fermenter try to leave all the
trub on the bottom of the pot hops will settle out,then dispose

you rack from your boiling kettle to the fermenter???? I have never heard of that, I usually just dump it into the fermenter to aerate it. But again you can strain your wort as you add to the fermenter, although it isn't neccesary.

I use a 5gal paint strainer bag in the boil, works a charm! It's big enough to allow the hops to move around freely, and allows me to pull 90% of the hop residue out of the pot before I send the wort through my plate chiller.

Pick them up in the Paint Dept at HD or Lowes, they are nylon, reusable, and big enough that I use them for Partial Mashing or steeping as well. Just use a clip to hang it off the side of your boil kettle, or get fancy and to the Hop Sock PVC thingie.
hop%20filter.jpg

big up to that paint strainer idea. That is some solid ingenuity. I am planning my first partial mash and that was one of the things I couldn't locate, a suitable grain bag. Now for a trip to the depot.

Heck I have an unopened bag of those in my tool closet! I'm about 3 extract brews away from going AG anyway.

Back