Warning to homebrewers who cut their own hair.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porcupine73

Reaction score
Ok, so this homebrewer under the conditions is forced to admit he cuts his own hair. He just uses a $20 trimmer he got at Wally's. He hates waiting in line or having to schedule any kind of haircut appointment. Since he lacks a S.O. he can easily get away with this. Anyway ...

Caution should be noted when attempting to cut your own hair after consuming a sufficient quantity of homebrew. He assures you it will seem like an absolutely excellent idea at the time to give the 'ol melon a quick trim.

But ... he will assure you the next morning you will wonder what in the heck happened last night ... as may happen anyway from time to time except now you have to go to work with hair looking like this until it grows back.

Meh. I cut my own hair for financial reasons too. Kinda hard to screw up my cut as I buzz it every two weeks to the skin.

Haha nice try, but no photos will or were be taken. Ok I can't rule out someone took them, and they won't, hopefully, be posted. Mostly he screwed up around his ears. That is the part where he takes the 'you cannot screw this haircut up' guard off the trimmer and buzzes around the ears. That was the mistake actually. Other than that it is foolproof with the guard on. Sigh oh well, it will grow back.

How did you develop the discipline not to cut your own hair after drinking homebrew? Later is seems obvious and like common sense. But in the heat of the battle so to speak those clippers just call your name. Perhaps they need a breathalyzer like some cars.

How did you develop the discipline not to cut your own hair after drinking homebrew? Later is seems obvious and like common sense. But in the heat of the battle so to speak those clippers just call your name. Perhaps they need a breathalyzer like some cars.

The thought never occurred to me, I guess. Just watch, though. After reading this thread I bet the next time I am home-brewed-up, I am going to consider it. :cross:

I just recently stopped cutting my own hair after about ten years. Never once did I get drunk and have the urge to give myself a haircut. But thanks for putting the idea in my head, now i'll probably do it this weekend.

1 word: Flowbee!

Oh right on the suckcut might work!

suckcut.jpg

From the avatar [on the left over < that way], you can see that I really don't have much hair left. I use a cordless clipper I bought at WallyWorld that has a number of attachment "guides." I usually buzz my "fringe" down to .25" every Friday morning...but a couple of weeks ago, I used the "Left Ear" guide the wrong way. Had an interesting cut around my left ear for a few days!

glenn514:mug:

glenn514 said:
From the avatar [on the left over < that way], you can see that I really don't have much hair left. I use a cordless clipper I bought at WallyWorld that has a number of attachment "guides." I usually buzz my "fringe" down to .25" every Friday morning...but a couple of weeks ago, I used the "Left Ear" guide the wrong way. Had an interesting cut around my left ear for a few days!

Haha. I have a Wahl clipper set I got from WalMart a while back. I never made that mistake, you see I tossed the L & R profiles fairly quickly.

Cheap trimmer, no guides, buzz head down to stubble weekly, often after multiple homebrews. Usually bic the head about once a month, If I'm grown out to 1/4" I feel shaggy!

Been cutting my own for 10 years now with same Wahl clippers the entire time. I even do fades, usually about a 3 on the bottom and up to a 6-8 or so on the top. Turns out pretty well but the back of the neck is the tricky part. A few times I'd hold cardboard or something there and see if it was "straight" in the mirror, then just cut along the bottom. Nowadays I try to get SWMBO to do my neck, but sometimes I just do it myself anyways.

That sounds good, I think my clippers are Wahl too, $20 at Walmart for a nice diy kit. Yes the back I end up doing just entirely by feel, like I can feel if there is a 'tail' starting to grow or whatnot. I just blind trim that with a norelco cordless razor I also got at Wally's because it had a nose hair trimmer attachment. I used to go to supercuts but even calling ahead it seemed like it was often an hour wait after I got there. Forget that when I can be in the comfort of my own home and do it after enjoying lots of homebrew!!!

Been cutting my own since shortly after joining the Service, simple very short buzz cuts all around. After the service i let it get to almost an inch or so then buzz it back down again.

Been cutting my own hair for 40 years. Takes a few minutes vs hours. Since I use a 1/2" blade for all of it, it's very tough to make a mistake. Sometimes I miss a spot, but that's easy to fix.

Hehe yes that's pretty much what I figured, keep that guard on the trimmer and it's pretty dang hard to screw up no matter how much homebrew you enjoyed. But then that little voice inside my head said 'you need to trim around your ears'. Well ... without that precious guard in place the trimmer becomes a weapon of mass destruction if not handled carefully ... but I learned my lesson ... I hope ... ah it's Friday and homebrew is being enjoyed in good quantities ... will have to see what I look like in the mirror in the morning ...

I used to cut my own hair with wally clippers... now is pretty much the same only my wife does it for me. Its not because the price (ok well maybe its is), its not because I am a cheap bastard (ok maybe I am a bit stingy), its not because I'm lazy (I just hate driving anywhere or waiting, or sitting in a strange chair somewhere), its not because I am anti-social (I just hate people), and it most certainly not because my hair is thinning so I have to keep it short anyway (My scalp is merely taking a more aggressive stance against my hair). The main reason I have always done it this way is... well crap.

When I moved here to Marengo in 1997, I got free haircuts because of my work position. That barber sold his business, and the new barber continued the practice. When I retired, however, I began to feel guilty, because she was charging $14.00 for a haircut. Then, when I thought about it, I realized that I didn't have enough hair to warrant a $14.00 fee! I paid less than $25.00 for my ConAir cordless trimmer, along with all the "goodies" [aka cutting guides]. That has more than paid for itself over and over again.

And my sweet wife shaves the back of my neck weekly, and trims around the ears every two weeks. Keeps everything neat and clean back there.

Back