• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Warning keg theft!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiant-designer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know (or at least home) most of you are all honest homebrewers. It has just come to my attention that there was a theft at Smuttynose brewery of about 31 kegs. I am sure these will find themselves at either a scrappers yard or for sale on craigslist. PLEASE WARN PEOPLE that these are stolen!

I have a member of our home brew club who works at Smutty and they have been great to us, supplying yeast and info and really pushing people to homebrew.... Lets return the favor and try to help them out!

The article can be found here http://portsmouth-nh.patch.com/articles/police-probe-theft-od

Dude, you missed posting this in the other 92 forums.

FTR, this sucks for SmuttyNose. But, unless you bought the keg from teh manufacturer or from the brewery directly (the keg itself not the beer) they are ALL STOLEN by the eyes of the corporate lawyers prtecting the breweries interests.

I was watching this show called Bait Car. Maybe we could make a few kegs of Copper and have Bait Kegs.

Dude, you missed posting this in the other 92 forums.

FTR, this sucks for SmuttyNose. But, unless you bought the keg from teh manufacturer or from the brewery directly (the keg itself not the beer) they are ALL STOLEN by the eyes of the corporate lawyers prtecting the breweries interests.

not true breweries give (or sell) many kegs to scrappers all the time who in turn sell them to scrappers. Kegs are serialized

" Police say 31 aluminum beer kegs were stolen from the Smuttynose Brewery facility" aluminum? What kind of keg were these? Ooh I'm sorry stainless looks like aluminum. Hope they get these back.

As for proving where you bought it, if I prove that I bought it from a scrap yard or some guy advertising online and it was stolen then it doesn't mean I'm in the clear, I probably won't get in trouble but its like buying a hot car or buying stolen tools or whatever.

I posted it in several local forums because Portsmouth is 15 mins from Maine and a short drive to ma. I'm hoping that someone sees these pop up for sale and tips off smuttynose. If they get away with it then they may do it again. I hate seeing this happen to a local brewery, especially one that helps out homebrewers and does a lot locally. Not that I would say its ok to steal kegs from miller or Bush, but these guys feel it a lot more. I don't get why someone would do it, its like stealing wiring or pipes from a construction site or house that is empty.

And breweries do sell kegs when they are no longer used, for either preassure issues or too dented or something.

Latest posts

Back