Warm Fermented Lager Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but change the mash temp summer and winter. 156F in the summer for something a little drier/lower alcohol, 150F in the winter that's a little sweeter/higher alcohol.

Isn't that backwards? Higher mash gives less fermentable wort I thought.

I am digging my Lite warm lager made with wlp800
772DB7EE-D89D-4362-AAD6-8A7428ED8728.jpeg

So here is a picture of my Doppelbock warm fermented with MJ M54. I was shooting for something like Paulaner Salvator. This is a high bar to reach. I tried them side by side today. I have to say the two beers are very similar. The Salvator had a more substantial mouthfeel, was a little darker and was a bit sweeter. All in all I am very pleased with my results for my first shot at a Doppelbock. It tastes like Salvator. I have no temperature control system so I had not tried lager beer before reading this thread.

Some details: This was a second generation beer brewed with yeast harvested from a California Common. The CC attenuated at 73% and turned out quite well. This one attenuated at 71%. A little lower than advertised or hoped for. The flavors of both beers were very good. Fermentation temperatures for both beers were in the mid to upper 60s. I'll brew this again. Next time I will try a 2 stepped mash temperature and a longer mash. My mash conversion efficiency was lower than hoped for resulting in a lower OG, which likely accounts for the thinner mouthfeel. both beers are very clear. Cold crashed with gelatin. This one was bottled about one month ago. It was 3 weeks in the fermenter.

upload_2018-11-10_19-4-27.jpeg

Thanks to this thread I now have my first lager (Munich Dunkel) happily bubbling away that I would never have tried in the past. Only took 6+ years of brewing to try a lager. What makes this on even better is that I hit all my numbers, something I rarely do, which I am taking as sign of good things to come. Cheers!!!

Thanks to this thread I now have my first lager (Munich Dunkel) happily bubbling away that I would never have tried in the past. Only took 6+ years of brewing to try a lager. What makes this on even better is that I hit all my numbers, something I rarely do, which I am taking as sign of good things to come. Cheers!!!
Great! Which yeast did you use?

Shout out to the guy I had a long chat to at Brewcon this weekend, who read this thread - sorry, I'm hopeless with names, particularly when meeting so many people - IIRC a fan of 2001 Urquell-H ?

Also - the Brits on this thread might be interested in submitting beers to LAB's dedicated lager competition in March, could be useful to have some independent testing?

https://competitions.londonamateurbrewers.co.uk/lagerthanlife/

Apparently there's only a dozen or so spaces left.

Shout out to the guy I had a long chat to at Brewcon this weekend, who read this thread - sorry, I'm hopeless with names, particularly when meeting so many people - IIRC a fan of 2001 Urquell-H ?

Also - the Brits on this thread might be interested in submitting beers to LAB's dedicated lager competition in March, could be useful to have some independent testing?

https://competitions.londonamateurbrewers.co.uk/lagerthanlife/

Apparently there's only a dozen or so spaces left.
I have entered. Will be interesting to get some feedback. I have never brewed a Czech Lager before so going to get some wyeast Czech and give it a go. No idea if it ferments warm though. Will have to try it out.

Last edited:
Isn't that backwards? Higher mash gives less fermentable wort I thought.

Yep you got me :), I blame alcohol consumption while posting. It is the reverse.

I haven't been around since I posted earlier. I have both batches kegged and holding at 45F, will drop to 32F this weekend before carbing Monday to tap the weekend after this. Will run both through cobra taps the the deep freeze I use for carbonating until I have an opening in my keggerator to test the two, see for any differences.

I have entered. Will be interesting to get some feedback. I have never brewed a Czech Lager before so going to get some wyeast Czech and give it a go. No idea if it ferments warm though. Will have to try it out.
Thats the spirit!

I see a light beer in my future. I like the idea of lower calorie and alcohol. Just nice to keep around. Maybe, ......, a third keg! One with hazy ipas/pumpkin/kbs clone, one with hard cider and one with light hoppy pilsner?!

I see a light beer in my future. I like the idea of lower calorie and alcohol. Just nice to keep around. Maybe, ......, a third keg! One with hazy ipas/pumpkin/kbs clone, one with hard cider and one with light hoppy pilsner?!

I'm with you, except with 2 kegs. One usually has cider, the other usually a light one - right now a warm fermented schwarzbier, had a leichtbier, a vienna saaz smash, next something pilsner-ish.

Schwarzbier with MJ54 is freaking awesome.

I have M54 and 34/70, thinking of making a split batch. The basement floor is 60, I do have a chest freezer ferm fridge that will fit one fermenter. Which one to start at 60, which to control and why? Brewing today, TIA.

^^Sounds like an awesome experiment. I honestly dont know, but I would use the 34/70 outside fridge because we know its very robust.

What would be cool is to quad the batches two in and two out and blind taste test. I remain skeptic that it would even matter either way. Thus the thread. Glad you are giving it a go.

Thanks. I did what you suggest, partly because the 34/70 part was only a 2.5gal batch. I protected the 5 gallons of M54 with the ferm fridge. I considered using a heat belt only on one, and fridge only on the other, but worried about over steering. I did put the 34/70 close to the outside door, where it's cooler. Right now that batch is at 57, the ferm fridge is set to 66.

66AC98FA-25A9-47A6-9B51-DBF50D45ECC1.jpeg

My Marzen just recently tapped. Still very cloudy. It’s only been in the keg 8 days. I’m using the Clear Beer Draught System to draw the beer from the top of the keg.

Last edited:
Not the last batch, but the one before got seriously overpitched and had autolysis issues. Toyed with the idea of dumping it to have a keg free, but never got around to it. Tapped it again today, and the autolysis flavor (hard to describe, but kinda tastes like old sweaty socks smell) has completely GONE with time. Just a nice lagery beer flavor now, quite refreshing and tasty. Sipping on some now before heading to the company holiday party. And anxiously anticipating brewing an epic Hoppy lager tomorrow morning. This one will be fermented cold (50) however, and will get some Mosaic dry hop after a week or so. Knowing I'm brewing tomorrow is almost like the night before christmas; don't know what I'm going to get but I know I'll love it.

Hey don't shoot the new guy for probably asking a question that's been asked a million times .
But has anyone tried saflager 34/70 fermentating out at a constant 15'c ?
Landed up getting a few packets at a ultra cheap price ( they were close to expiry)
And dont have a place to ferment colder .
Worth using or just keep in the fridge till I can properly brew a lager.

I have M54 and 34/70, thinking of making a split batch. The basement floor is 60, I do have a chest freezer ferm fridge that will fit one fermenter. Which one to start at 60, which to control and why? Brewing today, TIA.
M54 is meant to be used warm, the manufacturer says that using it at lager temperatures causes problems.

Hey don't shoot the new guy for probably asking a question that's been asked a million times .
But has anyone tried saflager 34/70 fermentating out at a constant 15'c ?
Landed up getting a few packets at a ultra cheap price ( they were close to expiry)
And dont have a place to ferment colder .
Worth using or just keep in the fridge till I can properly brew a lager.

the beer above was fermented at 65F with 34/70 yeast

My basement is almost cold enough for lager fermenting -- it's 60 and still slowly dropping -- but not cold enough for actual lagering. And if I set the carboy outside or in the garage, it will freeze. I have a couple of packets of 34/70 in the fridge. What happens if I use it just like ale yeast but ferment mid- to upper-50's? I will either pitch both packets or make a 2L starter with one pack. The main problem I see is will it ever clear if I don't cold-crash it?

When it's almost finished fermenting, will I need to warm it up for a couple of days?

The only time I used 34/70 on a WFL it didn’t clear until the last pint.

I dumped one packet right on top of 5.5 gallons of wort without any issue, at least I didn’t think so.

My basement is almost cold enough for lager fermenting -- it's 60 and still slowly dropping -- but not cold enough for actual lagering. And if I set the carboy outside or in the garage, it will freeze. I have a couple of packets of 34/70 in the fridge. What happens if I use it just like ale yeast but ferment mid- to upper-50's? I will either pitch both packets or make a 2L starter with one pack. The main problem I see is will it ever clear if I don't cold-crash it?

When it's almost finished fermenting, will I need to warm it up for a couple of days?
At mid to upper 50s you are in normal lager temps, I would do both packets of yeast and rehydrate them. Maybe even pitch the yeast while the wort is still about 70F and allow to slow chill to ferment temp.

Warming the beer for a few days at the end of fermentation will help clean up diacetyl and increase a of 5 or 6 degrees F will do it. Or give an extra week at the mid 50s.

I don't usually cold crash my lagers, just rack to the serving keg and lager.

Just wanted to chime in that I made a Munich Dunkel with Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast, fermented at 65*F. I was in a rush: I kegged it on day 6 of fermentation after fermentation was done and the yeast was starting to flocc out. Burst carbonated and gelatine-d in the keg.

Pulled a small glass last night, and it was clear, lager-like, and delicious. Add this one to the list of warm ferment compatible yeasts.

Wanted to say, I used the much-maligned S-23 on two lagers in a row, both using a fermentation regimen calling for free rise starting at 13 Celsius, both are neutral, malt-driven and delicious.

I cant believe it. I brewed a light beer. Ugh, there I said it. Do I get stones thrown at me. I wanted to no chill and something light sounded nice. With only a small charge at 60, seemed a good candidate for no chill. Golden promise and cane sugar. Didnt want to do a longer mash required for flaked rice so used sugar. Hey it was cold out. And breezy. Palmer and zainasheffs recipe from brewing classic styles. Except for sugar sub and I used 1 oz of perle for 10g. With no chill I assume full isomerization. Calculated around 4% abv and 12 ibus. The wort was really good tasting. Still chilling downstairs dumped it into fermenters later in the night. 10g in just under 2.5 hours with 45 minute mash and 30 min boil. Went short boil figuring it would sit hot for about 12 hours. Might flavor one or both. 34/70 sitting at the ready.

No stones thrown! Sounds very sessionable. Let us know how it comes out. Going to try my first warm fermented lager this weekend. Pilsner with lemondrop hops using MJ 54. Can't wait!

Just bottled my first warm fermented lager on Wednesday. Beer couldn't be any clearer and tasted great. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out after it carbs up.

Just being in Slovakia. I had a 3.5% beer called dobre pifko and it was a pretty decent session lager. Quite a lot of flavour for this little alcohol amount. Noble hops and on the dry side. I will probably try to clone it, 3470 with saaz as late additions and probably about 20% cara pils. Maybe some wheat for the head. The beer wasn't clear but also without yeast bite, so probably chill haze, speaking for some wheat malt in the grist. Will be at least decent, but hopefully very good.

Miraculix, you‘re not by any chance sitting in the „first slovak pub“ in Bratislava? If so, please down one for me too (and try their Haluški with Bryndzov)

Miraculix, you‘re not by any chance sitting in the „first slovak pub“ in Bratislava? If so, please down one for me too (and try their Haluški with Bryndzov)
I am now back at the hotel, but I am surely in Bratislava. I am not quite sure about the name of the pub. The stuff was running around with shirts saying BARtislova, but it might as well be the one you are talking about. Somewhere in the middle of the old town, quite a touristic place. Have to go upstairs to enter.

Anyone brew a Dortmunder export yet? Just had a tasty one and wondered if anyone tried this style warm fermented.

Back