Warm Fermented Lager Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys!

7 years brewing, first time poster on this site. I first became aware of the possibility of fermenting lagers at room temperature through Brulosophy, where I am a patron. Recently I discovered this treasure trove of a thread (Thank you, Applescrap & co), and I have just finished reading all the pages.

A week and a half ago I felt emboldened to brew my first lager, a German pilsner with 100% pils malt and a hop bill consisting of Perle and Hallertau Mittelfrü. I brew using a 55 liter Speidel Braumeister, so I have to split the wort into two fermentation vessels. This allows me to experiment with different yeasts, dry hops etc, and for this particular brew I chose 34/70 and S-189.

Today the beer in both the vessels registered at 1010 (Target 1008), so this part is going according to plan. However, I did notice (Not too surprisingly) a rather unpleasant buttery flavor in both the batches, especially the 34/70 one.

Rather cowardly I have let the beer ferment in my basement, where they have enjoyed a pretty steady 17C (63F). I have since read that some people who have posted in this thread have experienced the same symptoms when they have warm fermented their lagers at "half-warm" temperatures, while other who have gone the full Monty in terms of temperature (20C +) have reported getting a clean result in terms of flavor.

So, what do you think I should do? Just RDWHAHB and leave the beer on the yeast cake for a few more weeks at 17C? Move it to a room that is closer to 20C? Do a diacetyl rest at an even higher temperature for a few days and then bottle the beer (Yes, I still bottle my beer). Sacrifice a young buck, drench all my dry hop bags in its blood and glue its antlers to my Braumeister?

Hi guys!

7 years brewing, first time poster on this site. I first became aware of the possibility of fermenting lagers at room temperature through Brulosophy, where I am a patron. Recently I discovered this treasure trove of a thread (Thank you, Applescrap & co), and I have just finished reading all the pages.

A week and a half ago I felt emboldened to brew my first lager, a German pilsner with 100% pils malt and a hop bill consisting of Perle and Hallertau Mittelfrü. I brew using a 55 liter Speidel Braumeister, so I have to split the wort into two fermentation vessels. This allows me to experiment with different yeasts, dry hops etc, and for this particular brew I chose 34/70 and S-189.

Today the beer in both the vessels registered at 1010 (Target 1008), so this part is going according to plan. However, I did notice (Not too surprisingly) a rather unpleasant buttery flavor in both the batches, especially the 34/70 one.

Rather cowardly I have let the beer ferment in my basement, where they have enjoyed a pretty steady 17C (63F). I have since read that some people who have posted in this thread have experienced the same symptoms when they have warm fermented their lagers at "half-warm" temperatures, while other who have gone the full Monty in terms of temperature (20C +) have reported getting a clean result in terms of flavor.

So, what do you think I should do? Just RDWHAHB and leave the beer on the yeast cake for a few more weeks at 17C? Move it to a room that is closer to 20C? Do a diacetyl rest at an even higher temperature for a few days and then bottle the beer (Yes, I still bottle my beer). Sacrifice a young buck, drench all my dry hop bags in its blood and glue its antlers to my Braumeister?
Just keep it like it is and wait it out.

I am not a big advocate of 3470 at warm temperatures and never tried 189. I got the best results so far with mj 54 California lager and Wye 800.

Next time choose one of those, preferably the mangrove Jack one for easier handling and you will be good.

Grog, I think the last option is your best bet LOL. :mug:

Brewed a Cali Common with WL San Fran yeast, fermented at 60ish, raised the temp to 68 for d rest. Will get this into the keg tonight. Then it is back into the fridge to lager for a couple of weeks (until space is available in the keggerator). I'll update when it is tapped.

Hi guys!

Thank you for your thoughts, Miraculix, may your cauldron never leak and your future potions be invigorating and plentiful.

I am going on holiday soon anyway, so I'll just take your advice and leave the beer in the fermentation vessels.

I have read that several posters in here have had good things to say about the MJ54, and that is certainly interesting. I have used it twice myself for fermenting American pale ales/lagers at warm temperatures, and have been reasonably happy with the way it has showcased all those citrusy, grapefruity, piney hop flavors.

I feel a little bit uneasy about using an American lager yeast in what I hope will become good, recognizable German/European beers, with noble German and Czech hops and a conservative grain bill. Maybe I am just being a prejudiced old fart, but are the American lager strains used these days comparable to the European varieties in this setting?

I brewed up a warm-fermented Festbier on this last Sunday. It's been chugging away at 68 since then, and the krausen completely dropped today. So I gave it a test; down to 1.011 from 1.050, and although the flavor is a bit young yet, it's going to be a good one. I did the same recipe cold-fermented almost three weeks ago which is currently in the keg, and it's delicious. I should be able to keg this one next Wednesday, and tap next weekend for the big comparison test. For anyone wondering, the grain bill was 80/20 pilsner/two row, bittered with Chinook, and small late additions of Crystal, fermented on proven S-23 slurry from that same cold-fermented one. Has a great bitterness, not overpowering, from the Chinook, and the Crystal lends a nice nose and slight fruitiness which is offset by the malt and the 'bite' from the lager yeast. Proud and happy girl this evening.

Hi guys!

Welcome! So cool you gave it a shot. Appreciate the shoutout. Bummed it hasn't gone so well for you. I use 3470 all the time and havent used mj54 but should try. Idk, I think you should definetly do the horn gluing no matter what.

If my math is correct I have drank at least 80 gallons of warm fermented lager. I have never tasted butter, but have tasted acetaldehyde? I think in younger ones. Also sulphur with any stressing of the yeast. Curious enough since you mention brulosophy, they did a diacetyl bombed beer with diacetyl drops. Iirc most couldn't even perceive it in a hazed beer. I have heard stories about people with super abilities to taste diacetyl. I guess let it ride. They get better with age. If you racked it to a carboy and had little head space and age it in the fridge for a few months it will probably be killer.

Welcome! So cool you gave it a shot. Appreciate the shoutout. Bummed it hasn't gone so well for you. I use 3470 all the time and havent used mj54 but should try. Idk, I think you should definetly do the horn gluing no matter what.

If my math is correct I have drank at least 80 gallons of warm fermented lager. I have never tasted butter, but have tasted acetaldehyde? I think in younger ones. Also sulphur with any stressing of the yeast. Curious enough since you mention brulosophy, they did a diacetyl bombed beer with diacetyl drops. Iirc most couldn't even perceive it in a hazed beer. I have heard stories about people with super abilities to taste diacetyl. I guess let it ride. They get better with age. If you racked it to a carboy and had little head space and age it in the fridge for a few months it will probably be killer.

Thanks! Well, it's still early days, so I certainly haven't given up on this beer yet. I still have quite a few pale ales, hard ciders and plenty of slightly too boozy chili trippels waiting to be drunk in the basement, so I have time to wait.

Cheers! :cask:

Thank you for your thoughts, Miraculix, may your cauldron never leak and your future potions be invigorating and plentiful.

I am going on holiday soon anyway, so I'll just take your advice and leave the beer in the fermentation vessels.

I have read that several posters in here have had good things to say about the MJ54, and that is certainly interesting. I have used it twice myself for fermenting American pale ales/lagers at warm temperatures, and have been reasonably happy with the way it has showcased all those citrusy, grapefruity, piney hop flavors.

I feel a little bit uneasy about using an American lager yeast in what I hope will become good, recognizable German/European beers, with noble German and Czech hops and a conservative grain bill. Maybe I am just being a prejudiced old fart, but are the American lager strains used these days comparable to the European varieties in this setting?
Thanks and no problem at all, the mj California lager is clean, it does not do much by itself to the taste, it mainly just highlights what you put into the beer. If you stick to noble hops like saaz or mittelfrüh and a European grainbill with maybe 5% melanoidin malt for the malty kick, it will create a nice pilsener for you. If you want a bit of sulphor, like lots of European pilseners actually have, you can underpitch, using half the recommended amount of yeast. Did this unintentionally with my last batch, but worked out fine.

Last edited:
I am counting on this ^^^

I’ve settled on an Amber Lager based loosely on NB Ranger IPA. https://www.newbelgium.com/beer/ranger/ It doesn’t really fit within the guidelines so I put it in Intl Amber Lager just to select something. I really give a rip about styles but you gotta put something...

095510D8-2667-4D5F-A5C1-929E7436BE7B.jpeg

Last edited:
Question about time in primary vs lagering time:

I'm planning an Oktoberfest brew. I want to enjoy it on my birthday 6 weeks after brew day. Fermentation temp would be 65-68°f. Using 1.5 packs (or just use 2?) of dry 34/70 yeast. Brewing as close to Marzen style as possible with 1.058 ish OG. I won't have a way to cold crash. I will be bottling this batch. I'll need to let it sit in primary in a basement 45 minutes from my home.

My question is how should I utilize the 6 weeks? I'm considering 1 week primary (pending fermentation), 2 weeks bottle conditioning at 70°f, and 3 weeks bottle lagering in the fridge. Or should I let it sit in primary for longer and reduce bottle lager time?

Cheers!

Question about time in primary vs lagering time:

I'm planning an Oktoberfest brew. I want to enjoy it on my birthday 6 weeks after brew day. Fermentation temp would be 65-68°f. Using 1.5 packs (or just use 2?) of dry 34/70 yeast. Brewing as close to Marzen style as possible with 1.058 ish OG. I won't have a way to cold crash. I will be bottling this batch. I'll need to let it sit in primary in a basement 45 minutes from my home.

My question is how should I utilize the 6 weeks? I'm considering 1 week primary (pending fermentation), 2 weeks bottle conditioning at 70°f, and 3 weeks bottle lagering in the fridge. Or should I let it sit in primary for longer and reduce bottle lager time?

Cheers!
3470 is very powdery. I would increase the primary time by two weeks to get as little yeast into the bottle as possible, otherwise you'll get gushers because of the yeast being nucleation points. It also does not stick to the bottom of the bottle, you really want as little of it in the bottle as possible. Put into the fridge a few days before drinking, or longer, of there's more time.

3470 is very powdery. I would increase the primary time by two weeks to get as little yeast into the bottle as possible, otherwise you'll get gushers because of the yeast being nucleation points. It also does not stick to the bottom of the bottle, you really want as little of it in the bottle as possible. Put into the fridge a few days before drinking, or longer, of there's more time.
Thanks for the info. This is interesting to me because I hadn't read or heard about the 34/70 (maybe the most common lager yeast to pop up on the web for warm ferm) powdery issue in my research so far. So it's new to me that I'd need to take extra measures during primary (adding time in primary) to avoid getting un-settlable yeast in my bottles. Maybe this is because most people keg and are able to cold crash. I will consider keeping more of my 6-week span in the primary instead of in the bottles with 34/70 based on this.

However,I haven't purchased the yeast yet. I will look through this thread and revisit other yeast that I had considered. I know you mentioned getting good results with mj54 and wye800. Any others performing well at warm temps these days? Particularly for Marzens?

However,I haven't purchased the yeast yet. I will look through this thread and revisit other yeast that I had considered. I know you mentioned getting good results with mj54 and wye800.

I found lots of recommendations for the MJ54 also, so I used it in an Oktoberfest and a Baltic Porter. The Oktoberfest took 29 days to finish fermenting. The Baltic Porter isn't finished yet, but it was still dropping after 18 days, so it's also really slow. As far as I can tell, nobody else has posted a complaint about it being a slow fermenting yeast. I don't know if it's slow or if I just had bad luck with it - never had this problem with any other yeast. Maybe some others will share their experience.

I found lots of recommendations for the MJ54 also, so I used it in an Oktoberfest and a Baltic Porter. The Oktoberfest took 29 days to finish fermenting. The Baltic Porter isn't finished yet, but it was still dropping after 18 days, so it's also really slow. As far as I can tell, nobody else has posted a complaint about it being a slow fermenting yeast. I don't know if it's slow or if I just had bad luck with it - never had this problem with any other yeast. Maybe some others will share their experience.

I literally just have a session beer which I think was bottled prior to final gravity being reached. It is a bit overcarbonated now, and I think it is because the mj 54 was a bit too slow for me. I bottled after 8 days or so, but keep in mind that this was a sub 1.04 og beer, usually 3 to 4 days fermentation time would be enough, but it looks like I can confirm that mj54 seems to be a bit slow.

Thanks for the info. This is interesting to me because I hadn't read or heard about the 34/70 (maybe the most common lager yeast to pop up on the web for warm ferm) powdery issue in my research so far. So it's new to me that I'd need to take extra measures during primary (adding time in primary) to avoid getting un-settlable yeast in my bottles. Maybe this is because most people keg and are able to cold crash. I will consider keeping more of my 6-week span in the primary instead of in the bottles with 34/70 based on this.

However,I haven't purchased the yeast yet. I will look through this thread and revisit other yeast that I had considered. I know you mentioned getting good results with mj54 and wye800. Any others performing well at warm temps these days? Particularly for Marzens?

Sorry, I misspelled the second yeast of my choice, which was wlp800 pilsener. This yeast really flocs well, compared to other lager yeasts. Maybe, it is because it actually is an ale yeast that produces beers that taste like lagers and can tolerate low temps, therefore it was aleways labeled as a lager yeast, although recent genetic tests showed that it is actually within the ale family.

Anyhow, if you can work with liquid yeasts, use wlp800, or otherwise I would go with mj54 but keep it in the fermenter for at least 19 days or longer. Maybe consider doing 2 readings 3 days apart to confirm fg has been reached. And let us know if you also experience the slow fermentation.

I have used it but at lower temp. On the package, it used to say Ideal temp of S-189 is 15-20*C (59-68*F). I plan to try it at 65*F for a German Lager. O-fest seems in the wheelhouse. We’ll see.

Edit: They say 12°C – 15°C (53.6-59°F) now.

Wyeast 2124 could also be an option.

Last edited:
Just tried my hand at my first warm fermented Lager.
Been fermenting it in the cooler corner of my house, 65-68 f. Its only been 4 days and has dropped from 1.050 to 1.007. Have other people been experiencing similar results with that quick of a fermentation. I uesd 34/70, also there is a strong sulphur scent at the moment, but I believe that should disappear after time correct?

Cheers

Been fermenting it in the cooler corner of my house, 65-68 f. Its only been 4 days and has dropped from 1.050 to 1.007. Have other people been experiencing similar results with that quick of a fermentation. I uesd 34/70, also there is a strong sulphur scent at the moment, but I believe that should disappear after time correct?

Cheers

Yes and yes.

If the sulphur smell doesn't dissapear on it's own, you can try adding a piece of copper to the fermenter for a few days. The H2S reacts with the Cu to form Cu2S which stays behind in the fermenter. It's a wine/mead trick, but apparently works for beers as well.

If the sulphur smell doesn't dissapear on it's own, you can try adding a piece of copper to the fermenter for a few days. The H2S reacts with the Cu to form Cu2S which stays behind in the fermenter. It's a wine/mead trick, but apparently works for beers as well.

Thanks if it comes to that I’ll give it a try and report back. Right on !

I've used this trick for cider. I wound some copper wire around a drumstick to make a coil out of it. I gave the cider just a few stirs, and the sulfur dissipated right away. You might not need a few days.

Cheers
Awesome! I'm very curious about how this will turn out. How long do you plan to leave it in primary and are you bottling or kegging? I'm considering 34/70 at 66-68°f for a Marzen that I hope will drink decent from bottles 6 weeks from brew day

Awesome! I'm very curious about how this will turn out. How long do you plan to leave it in primary and are you bottling or kegging? I'm considering 34/70 at 66-68°f for a Marzen that I hope will drink decent from bottles 6 weeks from brew day

Nice that should be do able, my plan is to primary for hopefully 10 days. Then add some gelatine and cold crash (if I can get a cheap mini fridge off craigslist in time).

Just got a keg setup so hopefully I can try my hand at kegging it.

Still a few days left of my Crete vacation. To be honest I look forward to getting home and check on the progress of my first warm fermented pilsner (Described in an earlier post), which will by then have spent around a month on the yeast cake and will hopefully have lost most of the buttery aroma/flavor I perceived two weeks ago. I seem to be a bit sensitive to that particular off-flavor.
If all is well I plan to raise the temperature from 17c to around 20 for a few days, then bottle.

My next brew will be a similar lager type beer with a bit of München or melodonin malt to give it a little more backbone.
Following advice on this thread I will use MJ Cali Lager yeast in one fermentation vessel, Kölsch yeast in the other. Ferm temp probably around 16-17c, or however cold the coolest room in my basement will be. Or I might go higher...
Will be really interesting to discover the differences between the Cali and Kölsch beers in this setting.

Last edited:
Working on an experimental 2.25 gallon Doppelbock lager using WLP070 (Kentucky Bourbon yeast) fermented at ~74F for 20 days. OG=1.082 and FG=1.018 (ABV 8.4%). Moved to the secondary today and tasted it. I don't know what to even say about it at this point other than a very unique flavor profile. Will force carb, lager and try to come up with more thoughts.

Not sure if this yeast is a lager yeast or not

Last edited:
I am fermenting a 95% base + 5% C120 amber colored Lager w/ Chinook, Simcoe, Cascade at 65*F using MJ Cali Common. Not unusual for this strain so if it produces a crisp, clean lager I’ll be pleased.

Last edited:
Brewbama, tonight I'm tapping my Cali Common brewed with WL SF Lager at the same temps. The samples have been outstanding. Super clean letting the malt shine. :mug:

I am 24 hours into fermentation of a 1.066 Marzen (overshot OG) with 1 pack of 34/70. Activity has just begun with a thin head of foam and airlock starting to bubble. I am posting this here because I was planning to warm ferment at 65-68°f but I ended up putting the carboy in a clothing tote box half way filled with cold water. Rotating 6 frozen water bottles 2 to 3 times a day. I draped a cold, wet towel over the carboy and I have a small fan blowing on it. Temp has settled to 58-60°f. If I keep it there throughout fermentation, I'd say that it's pretty easy to at least keep temps in the upper 50s with items you might already have in your home. Though, I will be brewing this again but at room temp to compare notes.

I plan to diacetyl rest at room temp once fermentation starts to subside. I will bottle on day 10 or 14 or so then put the bottles in the back of the fridge for 4+ weeks.

As for the overshot OG on what I am calling my birthday festbier, I may dilute with a quart or 2 of water in my bottle conditioning solution. This will keep me from getting too crazy on my birthday in 6 weeks when I hope to have a drinkable lager to enjoy.

Nice. I think I ran into a stall in my MJ Cali Common ferment. I see no fermentation activity but I am still a few points high from my anticipated FG. I’ve been warned of the slow down at the end for this strain. I’ll let it go to the end of the week and check again to see if it’s any lower.

1 more data point.

I brewed my first pilsner 2 months ago and it was great. Fermented 34/70 @ 55 for 2 weeks, 65 for 1 week, then lagered around 40 for 2-3 weeks.

I warm fermented the same recipe recently, again using 34/70. 3 weeks @ 67, and had a taste last night after lagering it at 40 for 10 days. It did not taste good. Couldn't describe the off-flavor exactly but defnitely yeasty - would guess banana/clove esters, maybe fusel alcohol? Not sure about descriptors other than not tasty.

Am going to let it lager another 2-3 weeks and try again.

Nice. I think I ran into a stall in my MJ Cali Common ferment. I see no fermentation activity but I am still a few points high from my anticipated FG. I’ve been warned of the slow down at the end for this strain. I’ll let it go to the end of the week and check again to see if it’s any lower.

How long has it been fermenting? I've tried MJ54 twice and got very slow fermentation both times. 29 days the first time. The second is still in the fermenter - still dropping after 33 days.

How long has it been fermenting? I've tried MJ54 twice and got very slow fermentation both times. 29 days the first time. The second is still in the fermenter - still dropping after 33 days.

Today is day nine. I plan to check SG again tomorrow.

One side effect of warm fermented lagers I’ve read about is (supposed to be) the fast pace ferment. In the past when I would ferment lagers in the mid 50(s) I would experience airlock activity plodding along thru to complete ferment in ~14 days. (I know airlock activity does not equal fermentation - but it’s an indicator) With this strain I anticipated a faster finish.

So far, minus the airlock activity (which I am not overly concerned about), I may be doing at best a few days quicker with this ferment. I kept the sample which is now down to 1.012 (76%AA. With minimum cited at 77% one point off is within tolerance around here). I was anticipating ~1.010. I surely hope that 29-33 days is not the norm to get to lower for this strain. That dog don’t hunt in my brewery.

We’ll see tomorrow. It’ll be packaged at 1.012 if that’s where it is. If that is the case, 10 days isn’t bad (though not the fast lager ferment I’ve read about) ...but the proof is in the pudding. 10 days to ferment bad or even mediocre beer may dissuade me against this strain. Again, we’ll see.

Last edited:
Looking for a warm fermented 34/70 recipe. Preferably something unusual - spicy, fruity, whatnot. Any good ones?

Warm fermenting that 34/70 on a Kentucky Common at present.

Latest posts

Back