Wanting to build up my inventory.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
So this may not be a build but it's a project.i would like to get a large amount of grains, hops and yeast so I can brew just about anytime I want. I want help with this too. I would like to know how to store grains and how long they last. Also what is the best way to store hops? I would also like to know the best/common grains and hops to buy. I just want to be able to walk in my brew room and know that I can make a good beer 1 or 5gallons.
So if you can help guys that would be Awsome. I'm think g of getting like 50lb of grains each so just need your help

I personally use 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids to store my grain, uncrushed it should last a year or so, though I only buy enough for about 6 months at a go. Lots of folks use dog food containers called vittles vaults, which are airtight as well. I only really buy full sacks of base grains, I keep something like MO, Pearl, Golden Promise etc, and a couple sacks of pale ale malt around, and a sack of wheat. I don't bother with specialty grains in bulk, but if you can get in on a group buy doing a split of ones that you use commonly wouldn't be a bad idea. For hops I keep mine in the freezer, in 4 oz vacuum sealed bags.

I use mason jars, a mason jar sealer and a hand pump to seal hops before freezing them. It works well for me and was cheap. I've found mason jars to be an indispensable part of my brewing equipment.

The best/common grains and hops to buy is all about personal preference. I use US 2 row in nearly all my beers. Hops are 100% about preference but i like to have cascade and centennial in my freezer at all times. They're very versatile and i love them.

temple240 said:
I use mason jars, a mason jar sealer and a hand pump to seal hops before freezing them. It works well for me and was cheap. I've found mason jars to be an indispensable part of my brewing equipment.

The best/common grains and hops to buy is all about personal preference. I use US 2 row in nearly all my beers. Hops are 100% about preference but i like to have cascade and centennial in my freezer at all times. They're very versatile and i love them.

The Manson jar is a great Idea. I look at vacuum sealer cost a lot. I think I need to look at recipes I like and try to buy grains in bulk to match that style. Cascade and centennial are a must.

I use food grade 5 gallon buckets for base grains, and usually keep a large amount of 2-row, pilsner, wheat, and MO in those. For specialty grains, I use some pet food containers and large cereal keepers that have locking lids and gaskets. Like others have said, the grains are all about personal preference and depend on what you like to brew. I have a selection of crystal grains, roasted, biscuit, etc.

As for hops, I keep them mostly in mason jars in the freezer, and use a handheld foodsaver (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FWIVCA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) with the jar lid sealer and it does a great job. I also use it with the ziploc bags for other things around the house and for leaf hops.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mason jars and vacuum sealer is the way to go. SWMBO agreed when I showed her the savings from buying hops in 1lb lots vs the $3.25/oz at the HBS. My savings for 5 lbs (+shipping) paid for my foodsaver. I've since ordered 7 more pounds. Not worried about them going bad because I keep them in my deep freeze (-20C). Each quart holds a pound of pellet hops.

I also use 5 gal buckets for grain. I use the cheap lids on my base grain, but gamma seals on the specialty grain bucket. My specialty grain goes in ziploc freezer bags in the bucket. Gallon bags hold just about 5 lbs. I'll upgrade all buckets to gamma seals when the lids break (plastic tears to the seal) and I have extra money.

Choven1218 said:
The mason jars and vacuum sealer is the way to go. SWMBO agreed when I showed her the savings from buying hops in 1lb lots vs the $3.25/oz at the HBS. My savings for 5 lbs (+shipping) paid for my foodsaver. I've since ordered 7 more pounds. Not worried about them going bad because I keep them in my deep freeze (-20C). Each quart holds a pound of pellet hops.

I also use 5 gal buckets for grain. I use the cheap lids on my base grain, but gamma seals on the specialty grain bucket. My specialty grain goes in ziploc freezer bags in the bucket. Gallon bags hold just about 5 lbs. I'll upgrade all buckets to gamma seals when the lids break (plastic tears to the seal) and I have extra money.

Yea see that's what I'm saying. I hate buying a kit for $45. Plus no HBS near so I have to always pay shipping. But then I search and search for the best shipping and don't always get what I want just to save on shipping.

Which pumps and caps do you all recommend for mason jars?

Foodsaver makes the lid sealer for normal mason jar caps, take a look on amazon for it. I use the harbor freight brake bleeder pump method because it's cheap ($20) and i don't have the space for more kitchen appliances in my apartment.

I forget what the setup has been dubbed but if you search for brake bleeder mason jar i bet you'll find it.

Foodsaver makes the lid sealer for normal mason jar caps, take a look on amazon for it. I use the harbor freight brake bleeder pump method because it's cheap ($20) and i don't have the space for more kitchen appliances in my apartment.

I forget what the setup has been dubbed but if you search for brake bleeder mason jar i bet you'll find it.
Here is another:

Howdy. Thought I'd chime in on the mason jar in the freezer tactic. Works great for me. Another option for vacuum sealing the mason jars (and this is admittedly uber cheap of me, buy hey it works) is to get the food saver attachment - $10 for the wide mouth version - and then buy a $4 pack of those ziploc vacuum sealer bags. The ziploc bags are basically useless, but the hand pump that comes with it works great on the food saver attachment. I get a really nice seal on my jars and my hops stay happy. Tough to beat for ~$15 and some jars.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005TN7H/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UEMFUG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Brew on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The base grains stay in their 55lb sacks, stacked 5 high in the house where the rats can't get them. The hops are in freezer bags in the freezer. The yeast gets washed and/or used or stored in the fridge.

I personally use 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids to store my grain, uncrushed it should last a year or so, though I only buy enough for about 6 months at a go. Lots of folks use dog food containers called vittles vaults, which are airtight as well. I only really buy full sacks of base grains, I keep something like MO, Pearl, Golden Promise etc, and a couple sacks of pale ale malt around, and a sack of wheat. I don't bother with specialty grains in bulk, but if you can get in on a group buy doing a split of ones that you use commonly wouldn't be a bad idea. For hops I keep mine in the freezer, in 4 oz vacuum sealed bags.

How many pounds of grain can you fit in a 5 gallon bucket?

I use a couple of vittle vaults that hold a full 50lb bag, but at $45 they get a little pricey.

I use the 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids as well. Each container will hold about 5lbs of grain.

He means 25 lbs.

I use the homer buckets with the snap tight lids. I tried the gamma lids but they were a pain to seat on the buckets to start with, and I dont find the hassel most do in removing the snap tight lids. The snap tight lids are also 20% of the cost of the gammas.

As for what hops, grains, and yeasts you want around it has to do with what styles you brew most often.

One thing I will interject that seems a little backwards is that:

I originally bought a bunch of stuff in bulk to save money and more importantly like you have a stockpile to brew what I want when I want. After a while this situation actually reverses and limits your flexibility, because you will find yourself needing to brew certain styles to use up some of the older ingredients.

Still, I wouldn't do it any other way, but quantity can be a delicate line to walk.

The main thing about storing grains is this: Keep them airtight, cool (or cold) and avoid moisture, and keep them in a hard-shell container. Grain weevils can easily go through ziploc bags.

If you get a weevil infestation, you will have it EVERYWHERE in the house where there's starch. That means any unsealed box of spaghetti, pasta, flour, etc will become infested.

As a general rule, uncrushed grains stay fresh longer than crushed grains.

MC

Back