Wanted: Fast and Easy Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayPowHound

Reaction score
I'd like to brew up a quick easy pale ale. Something that would fit the following criteria:

Quick turnaround: 3 weeks or less from brewing to drinking. The faster the better

Light and easy drinking, yet still noticeable big(ish) hop flavor.

Cheap, although must be extract or extract w/ specialty grains. I'm not set for all-grain yet.

Something along the lines of the Harpoon UFO Pale or Sam Adams Pale would suffice.

Thanks guys!

:mug:
1.5lbs. Crystal 40 steeped 30 mion. @ 150 degrees
7lbs. light LME

2oz. Cascade @60 min.
1oz Cascade.@30min
1oz @ flame out
Safale 05 or Nottinghams

Nice Brew

It means you had 1 oz of hops when you turn the flame on the stove or burner off.

If you wait until the wort temp drops below 190f, your results will be a lot better.

7lbs. light LME

2oz. Cascade @60 min.
1oz Cascade.@30min
1oz @ flame out
Safale 05 or Nottinghams

Nice Brew

Sounds tasty. How would you go about putting this into Brew Target or Beer Smith. Can't find any option for steeping.

Sounds tasty. How would you go about putting this into Brew Target or Beer Smith. Can't find any option for steeping.

In BeerSmith when adding the hops, change the hop use to aroma instead of boil and then the "boil time" will show up as steeping time after you add them.

:mug:I'm not sure of the software, on Tastybrew.com, they have a calculator with an option for steeping grains or you could do a "minimash" for the Crystal 40.:mug:

7lbs. light LME

2oz. Cascade @60 min.
1oz Cascade.@30min
1oz @ flame out
Safale 05 or Nottinghams

Nice Brew

sorry, i know this is an old thread but at least i used the search!

hey i wanted to make sure i do this right. after 30 mins of steeping the grains i remove them and bring to boil, then add LME and 2oz hops and boil for 60 mins, add another oz and boil another 30 mins, then add another oz and turn off heat? sounds like a long time to boil, or i misunderstood the recipe.

also, is sparging necessary with 1.5lbs grain in this case? if so or if not, why?

thanks for the help dudes!

Nope, the boil is 60 minutes total. Most (if not all) recipes list times as a countdown until the end of the boil. So 2 oz @ 60 minutes means you add 2oz 60 minutes before finishing your boil. In this case, that is the beginning of the boil. Some of us boil longer depending on the beer, so you might see times as high as 90 minutes.

Doing it the way you described would provide more bitterness, and a more concentrated wort, so it would not be the same beer.

As far as sparging, you can run some hot (160-175) degree water over your steeping grains, but it won't add all that much. In general, sparging is an all-grain practice. It doesn't get you much more than steeping alone.

Cheers

sorry, i know this is an old thread but at least i used the search!

hey i wanted to make sure i do this right. after 30 mins of steeping the grains i remove them and bring to boil, then add LME and 2oz hops and boil for 60 mins, add another oz and boil another 30 mins, then add another oz and turn off heat? sounds like a long time to boil, or i misunderstood the recipe.

also, is sparging necessary with 1.5lbs grain in this case? if so or if not, why?

thanks for the help dudes!

No sparging necessary- those are steeping grains.

I don't like the 30 minute hops- I'd change that to 15 minutes if you want hops flavor. 30 minute hops provide some bitterness, but not much hops flavor so I rarely use them unless the beer needs more bitterness. With 2 ounces of hops at 60 minutes, you won't need more bitterness- you'll want some hops flavor. So, I'd change the 30 minute hops to 15 minutes.

As was mentioned, bring the wort to a boil after removing the steeping grains. Add 1/2 the LME, and bring back to a boil. Add the first hops and set your timer for 60 minutes. When the timer gets down to 15 minutes, add the 15 minute hops. When the timer gets to 0, add the rest of the extract and the flame out hops and turn off the flame.

The timer is always the total amount of the boil, and the times by the hops are the total amount of time boiled. So, 15 minute hops are added after 45 minutes of boiling so they stay in the boil for 15 total minutes. Hope that makes sense!

thanks for the info!

when you say 30 minute hops or 15 minute hops, are these a different kind entirely or same ones just boiled for that amount of time?

Edit: also, Yooper, when you say to add the rest of the extract at flame out what extract do you mean? do i not throw in all 7 lbs at start of boil?

sorry, another question... should i start with 5 gallons? or smaller amount and add water before ferment?

i appreciate the help ladies and gentlemen!

In this recipe all hop additions are the same hops variety. You add cascade at 60, more cascade at 15 and more cascade at 0.
Yooper said Add 1/2 the LME when you start the boil and the other Add 1/2 the LME at flameout.
When you boil for 60 minutes there will be less water than you start with and everyone's boil off rate varies. I boil 6.25 gallons to end up with 5.25 gallons of wort to the fermenter. Start with more than 5. You can always top off with more boiled water if you need to achieve your volume. Over a couple batches you'll figure out your boil off rate.

hey yall, just thought id let you know how great this brew turned out. it was my first beer ever and we just tapped the keg getting ready to bottle and this stuff is incredible. it makes me hungry just thinking about it and its not even 9am here.

i cant remember if i did this or not, but why wait to add the other half LME at flame out? would there be a problem with boiling it all the entire time?

Malt extracts darken over the length of a boil. If you only put in half to start, which helps utilize hops, you will stay closer to the intended color.

Back