WANTED: A nice home brewery in LA for shooting a commercial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Want to see your home brewery in a commercial? If you have a nice brew room *and* are located in the Los Angeles California area, please email pictures and contact information to me at [email protected]

I was recently contacted by a production manager from LA who is interested in using my brewery for a day to shoot a commercial for a very popular grill company. Alas, LA is a bit far from Ottawa Canada so I'm helping them find someone else.

I was told that the commercial would show the brewery (and homebrewing) in a very positive way. Not like this one. ;) An NDA would have to be signed before the script can be shown if they're interested in your room and you want further details.

Here's the original email:

I’m a producer in Los Angeles and we are working on a commercial that might shoot next February. One of our locations/set ups would be a home brewery in someone’s house. Rather than rent all the gear and build our own I wanted to see if their was an existing one in the LA area that we could film in.

I was looking online and I keep seeing pics of exactly what were looking for with your name attached to them. Are you located in the LA area and/or do you know anyone with a setup that might be interested in letting us film there?
For context, the pictures of my brewery that he liked were the following:

IMG_2668_2.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

He tells me that the bar isn't needed however. It's the brewery they want to shoot in for a day. No idea if they want it running (probably not, or it can always be faked). I'm sure this is more for the backdrop than anything else.

If interested, please email pictures and contact information to me at [email protected] and I'll forward.

Thanks!

Kal

Shoot, too bad it's not for a poor mans backyard / garage brewery :) We don't have basements here we can convert into uber-brewhouses. It was enough to convince the wife to give up the garage ;)

IMG_24061.jpg

Shoot, too bad it's not for a poor mans backyard / garage brewery :)
Hey! Don't knock it - that works and I'm sure makes great beer!

In this case however I think they're looking for something a little more "Breaking Bad" if you get my drift... Lots of stainless and 'science-y' type contraptions because it's going to be on TV (at least I assume it's TV - who knows).

Kal

No other offers guys (and gals)? Producer's still looking for a brew room in LA with lots of stainless goodies in order to shoot this commercial.

Kal

I doubt you'll find one. The lack of basements here make's it pretty rare to have really blingy setups like yours.

Wil Wheaton (yes Wesley Crusher from Star Trek) is an avid home brewer here in LA, he's got a nice house and decent money and he brews in his backyard too. I think it's just mainly a space thing.

That said, there might be a really nice converted garage brewery kicking around somewhere, where you at LA?

I doubt you'll find one. The lack of basements here make's it pretty rare to have really blingy setups like yours.

That said, there might be a really nice converted garage brewery kicking around somewhere, where you at LA?
Doesn't have to be a basement (I don't think I said it had to be?). Any brew room that's somewhat full of lots of stainless or reasonably well appointed (so that it looks like some sort of brewing room or lab) would definitely work. Doesn't even really have to make sense either what exactly is in there as it's not like they're actually going to use it. I don't know exactly where the producer's located in LA.

Wil Wheaton (yes Wesley Crusher from Star Trek) is an avid home brewer here in LA, he's got a nice house and decent money and he brews in his backyard too. I think it's just mainly a space thing.
Yeah - I've seen a lot of his interviews/beer talks/etc and he indeed just propane boils using what looks like a simple turkey fryer or similar:

AuBgCCOCIAEtTFi.jpg

Kal

I have lots of nice bling equipment (all stainless stand & jacketed fermenters), but like most others, I brew outside. That's pretty much par for the course in SoCal. Even in our local club Brewcommune, I can't think of anyone who has a brew room anything like yours.

AuBgCCOCIAEtTFi.jpg

I can't believe Wil's identity on HBT hasn't been figured out here. C'mon you guys, right under your noses ;) If he never posted, that would be one thing, but...

I live in Northeast Oklahoma so location isn't that good. I do have a shiny brew room and has all the flash that you could ever want, but when I wake in the morning it's still the same old bedroom with the mini fridge. :(

I can't believe Wil's identity on HBT hasn't been figured out here. C'mon you guys, right under your noses ;) If he never posted, that would be one thing, but...
he won't PM so I can brew a beer named after him. I don't like solving puzzles to figure out who someone is. besides, if he was publicly outed he'd get flooded with PMs. that would probably cause him to stop posting and I'd hate to see that.

Is it @Billy-Klubb ?
I wish! then I could grow facial hair!

Is there a reason why they can't fly their equipment out to ottawa? Your home brewery is probably the nicest one I've seen... ever. There are other nice ones on here but yours takes the cake kal!

he won't PM so I can brew a beer named after him. I don't like solving puzzles to figure out who someone is. besides, if he was publicly outed he'd get flooded with PMs. that would probably cause him to stop posting and I'd hate to see that.

Must have happened already since there was only that one post 4 years ago

What about the Maltose Falcons? I swear I read an article about there clubhouse having a brew system. Also one of their founding members is reported to have invented/made the first rims system.

Good point. I guess if you live somewhere where the weather's nice all year round, why would you want to brew indoors!

Kal

Yeah - I've seen a lot of his interviews/beer talks/etc and he indeed just propane boils using what looks like a simple turkey fryer or similar:

Kal

I met Wil at a fundraiser a few months back and we geeked about home brewing for a few minutes, he's told me he's since upgraded to a recirculating mash setup.

Is there a reason why they can't fly their equipment out to ottawa? Your home brewery is probably the nicest one I've seen... ever. There are other nice ones on here but yours takes the cake kal!
Thanks, though I imagine that would cost them a lot of money, otherwise they would have asked.

Kal

Back